Could you please read my essay and give comments? - People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work?

People work because they need money to live. What are some other reasons that people work?

Undoubtedly, Working plays a significant role in people’s daily lives in many places. Some people work only for money, while others have different reasons to work. I personally think that people work for self-realization so that they can feel a sense of accomplishment and for keeping themselves busy and healthy, in particular, for the elderly.

First and foremost, people work for self-realization so that they can feel a sense of accomplishment in their lives. When you fulfill something that you wanted, you would be likely to feel pride and self-confidence. For example, one of my friends has a stable and wealthy life with her family in her 40s. She definitely does not need any other income for a living. However, she started studying Art and graduated. Now, she is ready to open her own academy to teach other people and prepare for holding an exhibition. She did all these things because she had a dream to be an artist and finally made it.

In addition, some elderly work because they need something that keeps them busy and healthy. For instance, one of the volunteers at the community center that I visit from time to time comes to the place every day even though he does not have to. He is getting a retirement pension, income from social security, and another couple of sources but he is still working. He said working keeps him busy and healthy. He comes to the community center to interact with other people and help residents so that he can feel he is still good and useful. Money is not the primary motivation for working in this case.

In brief, the importance of working cannot be overstated for the reasons mentioned above. All in all, most people work to take care of themselves and their families financially, while some other people work for self-realization and for keeping their lives busy and healthy.

1 Like

There is no doubt that in many places work plays an important role in people’s daily lives. Some people work just for the money, others have other reasons for working. I personally believe that people work to realize themselves, to have a sense of fulfillment, and to keep themselves busy and healthy, especially older people.

First and foremost, people work to self-actualize so they feel they have accomplished something in their lives. When you achieve something you’ve wanted, you’re likely to feel proud and confident. For example, one of my friends has a stable and prosperous life with her family at the age of 40. She definitely doesn’t need any other income to support herself. Nevertheless, she started studying art and graduated. Now she is ready to open her own academy to teach other people and prepare an exhibition. She did all these things because she dreamed of becoming an artist and finally made it.

In addition, some older people work because they need something to keep them busy and healthy. For example, one of the volunteers at the community center I visit from time to time comes every day, even though he doesn’t have to. He gets a pension, income from Social Security, and a few other sources, but he still works. He says the work keeps him busy and healthy. He comes to the community center to socialize and help the residents, so he feels he is still good and useful. Money is not the main motivation for work in this case.

In short, the importance of work cannot be overstated for the above reasons. All in all, most people work to provide financially for themselves and their families, while some other people work to realize themselves and to keep their lives busy and healthy.

2 Likes

You introduce vocabulary that I didn’t know every time. I like that! Thank you so much!

1 Like