Christmas is coming

Thank you MR ALAN for your nice essays,but i have a simple question,i`d like to speak english fluently like an english or american people is it possible to do that?or impossible,thank you, and i wish to have an english or american friend to make with him all the time to make a nice conversations
waiting your answer.

thank you so much

sincerely,

AYHAM MOHAMMED

Hi Ha,

I have answered your questions in bold letters:

Hope this helps,
Alan

dear alan
this is part of my article:
can you help me to check grammar of sentence:
thanks alot

Pathogenicity Test
Pathogenicity of M. phaseolina isolates was evaluated on common bean, Line D81083. For inoculums preparation, rice seeds were soaked in water for 1 hour, transferred to glass bottles, autoclaved two-time with 24 hour interval, inoculated with 2-cm- diameter plug and incubated for two weeks and then dried in temperature 45 for three days, crushed and weighted 6 gram per isolates. Inoculum was evenly mixed with 3 cm surface soil of 10centimeter pots. Seeds were sterilized with 2% sodium hypochlorite for 2 min and then rinsed in sterile tap water and planted 5 seed per pot. In the control treatment, sterilized rice powder was used. After 70 days, some indexes such as shoot wet weight, shoot dry weight, root wet weight, root dry weight, plant height, chlorosed leaf percent, defoliated leafs percent and root volume (key 1-4 defined) were recorded. Index damage percent was calculated with adding chlorosed leafs and defoliated leafs.

Hi,

Many of the words are new to me and so I can’t really comment on their correctness.

I would only suggest corrections to the following: ‘on common bean’ = on the common bean/ ‘two-times’ = twice/
‘in temperature 45’ = at a temperature of/ ‘weighted’ = weighed/‘5 seed’ = 5 seeds/‘with adding’ = by adding. The plural of ‘leaf’ is ‘leaves’.

Alan

Dear Alan
Hello
How are you?
i didn’t think that you help me.
i am so glad and just can say your help be very usfull.
many of words of this text are prophisicinal.
i am very poor in english, near 4 next mounth, after passing PHD exam, i will have time and i will be obligated to learn english. i hope to continue your lesson in this website,
a question : where are you from? your home language is English?
i sm sohrab,student of mycology in iran.

Thank you for the story, Alan!
I really liked it, especially the way you wrote about your taking part in the performance. And I’m thinking… of putting up a new play with my students. Anyway, it is always fun! :smiley:

Thank you very much for e-mailing me . I’ve been enjoying everyone of them.

Hi, Alan!
I really like your essays and enjoy them every time, they are so intersting! I keep all of them. Thank you very much for the wishes, and have a very merry Christmas!
dessie

Hello dear Alan!
You laughed me very very much!:slight_smile:

Just a brilliant essay!

Very good!

Merry Christmas!

Angelina

Dear Sir

Really excellent article. Actually i expected the same thing only. Can you forward to me new new ideas… and thoughts… new phares… etc… it will be very much useful for me .

And i want to know… how to give attractive and meaningful presentation.

If you are having any idea, please forward to me.

Regards

R. NAGARAJAN

It was a really nice and sweet essay ! thank you ! and Happy Christmas !
Ursula

Dear Alan,
could you please,explain this sentence: “you can catch the odd strain of music percolating through ether”?
Does that mean : you’d rather listen to pop music at a distance of at least 10 miles?
I understand you; I’d rather listen to classical music, wouldn’t you?
BEST REGARDS,
rosette.

Hi Rosette,

Yes, that’s right - the farther away the better. The trouble is you very rarely catch the sound of classical music ‘percolating through the ether’ unless of course you’re sitting in a cafe outside the Arena in Verona.

Alan

Mr. Alan thank you

Humourous and interesting newsletter!
I, too, played in the Nativity Play some years ago in Bucharest in what was a teacher’s performance. I was the Angel and while I didn’t have any wing problem like yours, I still had a test to take. Our pianist was a music student and- although my part came out pretty well at the rehearsal and on the big night we started the song together just fine-, at the very climax of the play, when the Angel brings down the good tidings and I was about to sing ‘Gloria in Excelsis Deo!’, well, precisely then, from unknown reasons, he let me down. For a few seconds, I didn’t know what to do. As I hadn’t practised enough, I wasn’t sure I could sing the whole piece by myself, panicked that I wouldn’t remember the entire score. However, I kept singing without break and everything went smoothly to the end. Afterwards I was praised for not having been bothered by the lack of piano…All’s well that ends well.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Peace and goodwill to everyone! Ada

…my part had come out pretty well at the rehearsal…

helo mr halan
yes christmas is rely at the corner but i want be clear and sincer with you. that God well send some one to visit you before the christmas day. stay bless from andson i could have help but.

thank you mr alan

Hi
I have to say thank you once again, for reminding the great Christmas Carol of C.Dickens, one of my favourite writers. And some expressions explained were useful too. The only thing is not quite perfect is timing for is very far for Christmas time now. I did not know that Dickens loved to attend parties, I love that, because means he enjoied his life.
Best regards
Alexandra

Hi Alan,

Thank you once again for your essays. They provide me with very useful information about your wonderful country and I am glad to share it with my schoolchildren.
Never mind that it is the 28th of February and it is a too long way to next Christmas. There is a proverb in Russian language that goes approximately like this, “Mend your cart in winter and prepare your sledge in summer.”
So, I am looking forward to the next parts of your essay.

Best regards,

Yuri