Boarders between supposed language rules and personal style?

Hi Michael,

To come back to the word poser in the way I used it. We use the expression: pose a question, which is another way of saying: ask a question and that’s half way to explaining poser. It means a difficult question to answer, one which you need to think about before you answer.

Alan

Hi, Amy:
Thanks a lot!! :wink:

F.F

Hi Jamie,

Perhaps you know that the typical feature of ‘classic’ Russian/Soviet education is/was strong sticking to models. And the official models were created by quite good experts, despite (due to? :)) that ‘under-carpet’ blood fighting in the Department of Education among academicians for becoming ‘official gurus’.

As a result (and in particular), an average Russian knows Russian grammar (= model of the language) much better than, for example, an average British. I permanently observe quite well-educated Britons who have rather vague representation of the grammar of their native language. Not to mention that the vast majority of them never saw such things as, for example, classic transcription images for ‘English sounds’ :slight_smile: ).

Certainly, such a ‘model-based’ education has both advantages and disadvantages.

You’re right: the grammar model of English I was taught at school was quite good. Learning (now) English through English (UK ESOL course) I have no any serious problem with the model.

Moreover, I am ready to admit that, generally, the ability to ‘abstract thinking’ is affected positively by the education system of such kind (even though the strong ‘model-based’ learning is obviously more difficult – especially for children whose abstract thinking is still undeveloped).

I only wanted to say that, mainly due to the education system, I have been having quite serious problems with real use of the (li[color=red]vely) language. In contrast to that li[color=red]feless ‘system of rules’ (model) I was taught at my school time, by the name ‘English language’.

By the way, I’m very grateful to my university English teachers (‘Technical English’, mainly ‘comprehensive reading’)). My technical English (in a specific area) is still better than my ‘communication’ English…

Thanks to all for this interesting topic.
Tamara

P.S. Yes, I meant Beatles and A Hard Day’s Night, in particular. And not only Beatles and not only A Hard Day’s Night, in general. :slight_smile:

By the way, I remember well, that the idiom to work as a dog, which first was very surprising to me, I’ve learned exactly from the song. And at the rebellious age :slight_smile:

What about ‘classic’ Soviet posters? :slight_smile:

www.sovietposters.ru

:slight_smile: :lol: