Baked potato quiz

Hi Jamie, your quiz puzzled me. :roll: “bei wo da” sounds like “beaten by me” to me.
:shock:
In the area where I am living–Beijing, we call water “shui”. “yi bei shui=一杯水”(I don’t know whether this forum can display Chinese character or not) means a glass of water. :smiley:

“yi” in Chinese means one or a.You can also replace the word “shui” by “cha” and say: “yi bei cha”, which express the meaning of a cup of tea.

Regards,
Infin1ty

“Wo da” was these Chinese people’s pronunciation of the English word “water”.

You are right, Torsten.

:smiley: So called “Chinglish”? :wink:

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for your interesting quizzes. I learned something new from them and I really enjoy them. If you didn’t post this topic, I would have a chance to know what does “where did the baked potato go” mean And I suppose that even my English
teachers can not tell what’s the meaning of it because most of them never went aboard. In your second question, I would definitely think that story happened on a bus and a bus boy must be a conductor or someone who works on the bus if you didn’t mention you went in to a restaurant. I think I should these and they are useful.
You know, I learn English off and on for years but still can’t choose the proper word
while writing an article. I figure there must be something wrong with my study method.
I am sorry, I used too many “I” in my article, this makes me look like a little bit selfish.
Could you please correct me if any mistake found in my words? Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to see more your quizzes.

Best regards,
Infin1ty

Infin1ty, the biggest mistake you made in that post was to write “aboard” when you meant “abroad”. These are two very different words.

I think that the problem with your study method is probably that you study. I don’t mean that you shouldn’t study, but at your level it’s more important to absorb a lot of natural English. One of the best methods is through what we call “extensive reading”. This means that you read lots and lots of material that’s slightly too easy for you, and as that level becomes far too easy, you gradually increase the level of the reading. You don’t have to study, but just read and read and read. When you do this, your mind processes the language without you consciously thinking about it much, and the result is that after a while you can express yourself better.

You probably also study too much vocabulary and not enough idioms.

Thank you, Jamie. I’ll follow you suggestion(Is it better if I say: I’ll take your advice?). :smiley:

You can say “follow your suggestion” or “take your advice”. Both are right.