aren't vs. ain't

Hi Alan,

It is so nice to have your comments again! Oh this is wonderful, too!

It seems to me that more or less I am among the omitted. But that’s fine. Japan was once said among the best, at least in Asia, in the study of Shakespeare; but it was more than half a century ago. Unfortunately, now Japan replaces Shakespeare or other classics by cartoons and boasts of them along with the cars, which lead on to fortune but are bound in the shallow, I suppose.

Fortunately, my fellowmen have not yet completely abandoned the sense of understatement, which was, I believe, from your culture. As for me, I would always like to refer English to the language of Shakespeare.

Haihao

People had best hesitate to use “ain’t”. For most of their native-speaking listeners it will mark them as ignorant.

Thank you, Haihao. Amy’s original account (Yankee) was banned by Alan and Torsten. They also banned Amy’s subsequent account, “amYankee”. For whatever reason they have not yet decided to ban ESL_Expert – even though they are aware that Amy also writes those posts. This ESL_Expert account will undoubtedly also be banned at some point. Torsten and Alan have refused to reactivate the Yankee account. They seem to feel that disagreeing with them or pointing out errors in tests far outweighs the thousands of questions that Yankee answered here on the forum. Disagreeing with them too openly and/or often is hazardous to your account status, so I guess ESL_Expert has not yet disagreed with them sufficiently often or pointed out enough errors. lol

[color=darkblue]_____________________________________
[size=75]“Falsehoods not only disagree with truths, but usually quarrel among themselves.” ~ Daniel Webster [/size]

HAD best hesitate? I think you wanted to mention have as then you used will. And I think it’s hesitation not hesitate in that position.

Hi VW,

I think you had best think again!

Alan

is this correct grammar? i have doubt on this sentence what i heard. i’m just finished take a bath

Is it something like had better, Mr. Alan? Indeed, I’ve never seen it.

Sorry but I have to say that all the sentences you gave including your question are grammatically wrong. Is it grammatically correct? I have doubt on this sentence, which I heard. I’ve just finished taking a bath.

Sorry but I have to say that all the sentences you gave including your question are grammatically wrong. Is it grammatically correct? I have doubt on this sentence, which I heard. I’ve just finished taking a bath. Hope you soon get on well with English and be a good learner.

I am finished studying.
I am finished repairing the car.
I am finished eating.
I am finished arguing with you.

These are correct sentences. In them, the main verb is a form of “be”, and “finished” is an adjective describing the subject.

Sorry, but ain’t ain’t a word.

Hi Amy,

Oh it’s really good to see you again, Amy!!! Oh my goodness and I feel really sorry for, everything!

But I feel so happy seeing you in the photo! It shows your ever unchanged optimism.

As a learner and participator of this forum, I strongly feel myself that all the misunderstandings could be attributed to this post-modern device–computerized conversations. We just haven’t got used to it yet. I deeply believe that you, Alan, Torsten, and whoever else can be good friends if you meet each other but not just converse only around an IT table.

Here in Japan, Internet forums have not escaped from the doom, too. How about starting from this forum a post-modern one with a people-friendly approach as we have already started many earth-friendly approaches to which we are not used either and without banning anybody? And I believe, too, that we are capable of the pioneer and will be proud of it in the future.

By the way, please allow me to offer a proverb here: two of a trade never agreed. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Haihao

thanks vietanhphan for educating me and my sister. actually, this is not my ymail. this is my father (jun matro) ymail add. he told me to use his ymail add and also my sister to study vocabulary and gramar