Are you influenced by or bothered about accents in your country?

I’m most bothered by the California accent, especially the disgusting (hehe) rounding of the O and U (or “-ou”):

You = yeew (or “yeh-oo”)

No = neh-oh

In my native land (Wisconsin), the vowels are hard and straight, much like they are in Spain (and other Latin-based countries, I would guess), Scandinavia, etc.:

O is O
U is U
E is E
I is I (not “ah” as it is down here)
A is A

Now it could be said that the vowels are turned into diphthongs… this could be said for the more severe practitioners of the Wisconsin accent. Be that as it may, I’d rather hear “Youuuu” than “Yeeeeew” any day. There is no “e” in “you”!

I hear the young rock-band frontmen sing something like, “I’ll be treeeew to yeeeeew” and I want to puke.

1 Like

Hi Conchita,

You said:

I wouldn’t say I “often have a way of ignoring questions”. As for the voice imitation, I really don’t know what to say about it. Perhaps you could tell me what you think?

Englishuser

1 Like

Conchita,

URP is missing!

Englishuser

Hi Alan,

You wrote:

Why?

Englishuser

The “GenAm conversation” sounds like a Northeast accent (probably New England).

The “GenAm reading” could be Ohio, I suppose. I’m not sure – the guy isn’t showing much, or is trying hard to temper his natural accent. Most Ohioans (or at least north and central ohioans) speak with a pretty accent-less accent. hehe

The “Canadian” one sounds closest (among the choices listed) to a Wisconsin/Minnesota accent.

The UP accent is way more severe.

But that’s what I’ve been trying to do in three posts already!

Hi,

So, do you like the recording?

Englishuser

What do you think?

Hi,

What am I supposed to think? Why don’t you just tell me?

Englishuser

Please, read my previous posts about pleasant and no so pleasant sounding voices.

It’s a pity that they don’t have the UP accent on that thing.

UP accent?

Englishuser

Interesting link, Conchita. It was entertaining to listen to the guy doing the Boston accents. Though the guy approximates the some of the sounds pretty well, Bostonians would identify him as non-native in a New York minute. I was disappointed that he didn’t attempt a “Philadelphia sound”. But maybe it’s just as well he didn’t. :lol:

It depends…

If your accent doesn’t sound good for better communication it would definitely embarrass you…

If your accent and communication sounds good and when you become cynosure of all eyes, then it will earn you respect and authority.

Accent reduction and speaking neutral accent would ease bussiness communication.

in.answers.yahoo.com/question/in … 131AAq0lPL

Hey, how are you?

Great Lakes: Hayeee, howooo are yoooo

So Cal: Heh, heh’oo are yeh’oo

Nashville (Mid-South): H@'ee, hah’eew our yeeoo

1 Like