Are you influenced by or bothered about accents in your country?

No, it wouldn’t be all right for the president of the US to speak URP. The president’s voice is not supposed to sound like the voice of God. He’s the President of the United States, not the King of the United States. It’s okay for him to speak General American, some kind of Southern accent or any US accent, as long as it doesn’t sound too affected or snooty.

A manager can have any accent, because the main criterion is whether or not he gets his job done. He may encounter resistance from his subordinates due to his accent, however, just as a German manager who says “must” too much can sometimes get the nickname “Der F?hrer”.

1 Like

I don’t think he needs to explain it. He has made it clear for months. You have a tendency to insist, to twist and not to listen. You have an exaggerated view of the stratification and stigmatization of various accents, along with a sycophantic idea that aristocratic forms of British English should somehow be the pinnacle that all should strive for. Beyond this, you do have an irritating habit of twisting his words around, perhaps because you don’t understand what he’s saying. I would offer, though, that the reason you don’t understand what Alan is saying is that you are stubbornly attached to your own linguistic worldview and refuse to comprehend what he explicity states. You also bring up bogus arguments, such as when you appear to think that just one or two exceptions completely refute an otherwise valid generalization. I addition to this, your stubborn refusal to give any indication as to where you are, what your native language is, etc., tends to get on people’s nerves.

Alan gets annoyed with me because he thinks I have a nationalistic chip on my shoulder, and because (I think) he misunderstands some generalizations I make as being across-the-board stereotypes. There are some other things I do that bug him, such as when I refer to socio-economic classes, which I think he interprets from a rigid UK perspective than from a fluid US view of them. This is just my interpretation; I’m not inside the man’s mind.

Anyway, Alan has made it quite clear why you can get on his nerves at times.

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

I didn’t say that in this thread, did I?

Such as?

Englishuser

1 Like

Perhaps we don’t have the same perception of how these voices sound? There are some good samples here:

freewebs.com/coralworx/voicepage.htm

Although you often have a way of ignoring questions, I’ll put this one to you:

What do you think of the voice imitation of a 1930s New Yorker Girl?

Going back to the accent question, I found the following accent files quite interesting, especially (but probably not only) for learners. Some of them have transcripts and there’s even an Accent Listening Practice.

Enjoy the colourful contrasts!

gazzaro.it/accents/files/accents2.html
gazzaro.it/accents/files/MoreAmSolution.html

1 Like

I’m most bothered by the California accent, especially the disgusting (hehe) rounding of the O and U (or “-ou”):

You = yeew (or “yeh-oo”)

No = neh-oh

In my native land (Wisconsin), the vowels are hard and straight, much like they are in Spain (and other Latin-based countries, I would guess), Scandinavia, etc.:

O is O
U is U
E is E
I is I (not “ah” as it is down here)
A is A

Now it could be said that the vowels are turned into diphthongs… this could be said for the more severe practitioners of the Wisconsin accent. Be that as it may, I’d rather hear “Youuuu” than “Yeeeeew” any day. There is no “e” in “you”!

I hear the young rock-band frontmen sing something like, “I’ll be treeeew to yeeeeew” and I want to puke.

1 Like

Hi Conchita,

You said:

I wouldn’t say I “often have a way of ignoring questions”. As for the voice imitation, I really don’t know what to say about it. Perhaps you could tell me what you think?

Englishuser

1 Like

Conchita,

URP is missing!

Englishuser

Hi Alan,

You wrote:

Why?

Englishuser

The “GenAm conversation” sounds like a Northeast accent (probably New England).

The “GenAm reading” could be Ohio, I suppose. I’m not sure – the guy isn’t showing much, or is trying hard to temper his natural accent. Most Ohioans (or at least north and central ohioans) speak with a pretty accent-less accent. hehe

The “Canadian” one sounds closest (among the choices listed) to a Wisconsin/Minnesota accent.

The UP accent is way more severe.

But that’s what I’ve been trying to do in three posts already!

Hi,

So, do you like the recording?

Englishuser

What do you think?

Hi,

What am I supposed to think? Why don’t you just tell me?

Englishuser

Please, read my previous posts about pleasant and no so pleasant sounding voices.

It’s a pity that they don’t have the UP accent on that thing.

UP accent?

Englishuser

Interesting link, Conchita. It was entertaining to listen to the guy doing the Boston accents. Though the guy approximates the some of the sounds pretty well, Bostonians would identify him as non-native in a New York minute. I was disappointed that he didn’t attempt a “Philadelphia sound”. But maybe it’s just as well he didn’t. :lol:

It depends…

If your accent doesn’t sound good for better communication it would definitely embarrass you…

If your accent and communication sounds good and when you become cynosure of all eyes, then it will earn you respect and authority.

Accent reduction and speaking neutral accent would ease bussiness communication.

in.answers.yahoo.com/question/in … 131AAq0lPL

Hey, how are you?

Great Lakes: Hayeee, howooo are yoooo

So Cal: Heh, heh’oo are yeh’oo

Nashville (Mid-South): H@'ee, hah’eew our yeeoo

1 Like