Amanda Martin-Brock's accent?

Hi Conchita

That’s an interesting link. :lol: Wasn’t Tom asking about “difficult-to-pronounce” words?

Many parts of New England are notorious for adding “R” to the ends of words that end in “A” and meanwhile dropping the R from the end of words that actually end with that letter. My brother-in-law is a never-ending source of entertainment for me in this respect. :lol:

I always think of the W instead of R (as in “wabbit”) to be the pronunciation of a baby learning to talk. (Or maybe someone with a speech impediment.) But when I think about Elmer Fudd, I always think of that “waskely wabbit” Bugs Bunny. :smiley:

I noticed that the word “bidness” (business) was on the list in your link. I’d expect Texans (for example) to be prone to this pronunciation… and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear “Dubya” say the word that way. :lol:

Amy

1 Like

This is called “intrusive R”. It’s the extension of a rule that speakers of non-rhotic dialects have. The basic rule this R-dropping functions by is this:

[color=darkred]Don’t pronounce the R before a consonant.
Pronounce the R before a vowel.

So these people will say:

[color=blue]Your car was here.
[y@ ka: w@z hI:]

But they’ll say:

[color=blue]Your old car is there on the lot.
[y@r old kar iz ther an th@ lat]

Most of them won’t say “Chinar is…”, but some of them do extend the rule of pronouncing the final [r] before a vowel, and they insert it after any non-high, non-rounded vowel when it is before a vowel. This means they also add [r] where the word itself doesn’t really have one.

Almost the only big thing I didn’t like about the British textbooks I taught from in Europe was that they instructed students to insert this intrusive R as if it were a part of standard English. All it does in most places is make the foreign speaker sound a little comical.

1 Like

Interesting debate on the origin of Amanda’s American dialect but the truth is that her “British” accent is due to being raised in South Africa.

Amanda Martin-Brock is South African

Originally from Mbabane, Swaziland, Amanda was raised in Zimbabwe and South Africa. She attended the University of Natal in South Africa as a pre-law student, graduating in 1980 with a degree in English and Political Science. Pursuing a career in law, Amanda moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to attend law school at Louisiana State University (LSU) where she was a member of the Law Review.

1 Like

it’s a south African accent. speaking of which, many south africans and aussies flood the south florida area looking for yacht jobs illegally while discriminating against other nationalities, particularly Americans in their own port.

1 Like

Amanda Martin-Brock has a South African accent, as any South African will pick up on.

2 Likes

Hi Arnie, welcome to our forum. Where would you say is the speaker from in this recording?

1 Like

She is South African. A gauteng lawyer as Amanda martin - still has a practice there

2 Likes