In Team Meeting - Can I say:
Yesterday I practiced with Node.js
OR
Yesterday I did practice with Node.js
OR
What is the common or natural sentence to tell the same

Thanks!

2 Likes

The two sentences are different, and it depends on what you want to say. In most cases the first sentence would be the correct one.

The second sentence would only be used if there was some doubt about whether you practiced or not. Or it could be used to show an exception.

If you just wanted to make a comment, you would use the first sentence. Here’s an example of how the second sentence might be used:

I have not done anything with Node.js for a few weeks, but yesterday I did practice it.

Another example:

Joe: You didn’t practice yesterday did you?
Sam: Yes I did practice.

3 Likes

Thanks for the really nice explanation!
And - How could I use “hands-on” to reflect this “yesterday I practiced it”.

Please note: Node.js is a software or Technology in Software Industry (though I assume you may know this fact)

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yesterday I gained hands-on experience with Node.js.
( meaning you actually used it rather than studying from a book or listening to a lecture )

You could use the word “had” instead of gained. But if this is business writing or something similar it’s better to keep it a little more formal.

I have not hear of Node.js, but I assumed it was some sort of software. The .js gave it away. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your explanation!
I referred to a regular meeting we have everyday - Scrum Meeting.
Node.js is Javascript Run Time - Meant, it is kind of Environment to develop or run softwares.
I work as Manager in a Software Company.
And what the strange reality here is that, if u work 8 hours in non-IT industry with 8 years, mostly you will get INR 40000 per month, However in Software, you use the same brains, but u will get INR 100000 per month. IT people get more money, in some sense.
If acceptable, can i know ur profession or job?

2 Likes

Additional Point to note:
If some person is lucky enough (I call it as Goddess’s Grace) and if that person get a Job in Software, then they get good monies.
Just learn one or two Software Languages (Java or Python for example) and use them … That is it — good Money they will get. Not at all difficult (for me at-least). Not much intelligence is needed for this Job.

2 Likes

I think ‘Yes, I did’ will do.

2 Likes

“Sure I did” would work too.

2 Likes

By the way, Torsten, are you in favour of using ‘practice’ as verb?

2 Likes

Either one is fine by me as long as you are consistent in your spelling.

3 Likes

That is an indirect recognition and approval of American English. Isn’t general or universal consistency necessary in terms of English having become a global language?

2 Likes

There are different versions or varieties of English, which makes the language universal, flexible and global.

3 Likes

It seems to me that the stage has come where we need to call it GE (Global English) rather than AE or BE because of its variety, flexibility and universality!

2 Likes

That’s right. Today, the ratio of native to non-native English speakers is almost 1:5, and most conversations in English involve at least one party whose native language is not English. This means that English belongs to anyone who wants to use it.

2 Likes

Yes, that has already been established with what is called Global English.

2 Likes

But, if everyone includes their changes into any language (English for example), the original form will disappear!
Though including new words is ok. But based on my convenient (or for specific groups), changing the language may not be a good way.

2 Likes

Have you ever seen the language they used before Shakespeare?

2 Likes

Ok, understood. You mean, all languages change over time!

2 Likes

That’s right. Since everything is constantly changing, language is also developing and changing. That is an inevitable law of nature.

1 Like