Xmas: Why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus on the 25th?

We have read from the books that Jesus was not born on 25 December, so why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus on the 25th?

Which day of the year do we have to celebrate signifying the birth of christ?

Nobody knows exactly what day Christ was born on, but they had to pick a day. The time around December 25 was the time of a pagan holiday, so they just Christianized the pagan day. All over the world, Christians have taken local holidays and changed their content to conform with Christianity. It’s not unusual.

If you were a member of the Orthodox Church you would celebrate it almost in a fortnight - because of the difference between Julian and Gregorian calendars.
As all they (Orthodox believers, I mean) do.

In particular, in Russia Christmas Day is on the 7th of January. Officially. De jure & de facto :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

Where I’m from (US East Coast :shock:) there are lots of people who celebrate both. December 25th is the “official” date, but lots of people celebrate Russian Christmas unofficially. That’s also exactly how they refer to it: Russian Christmas. :smiley:

Amy

Hi Amy :slight_smile:

Then they should celebrate also the Old New Year, on 13/14th of January. And keep New Year trees in their home decorated till the date. :slight_smile:
I like all those winter (holy)days. And, of course, my family and all my Russian friends in the UK celebrate eachl of them, duly. :slight_smile:

Amy, I heard that in the USA Christmas is a great festival. It’s celebrated in every house, family. As for the New Year it’s not so popular. Is that right?

Hi Tamara,

Yes, we celebrate Christmas Day on the 7th of January :smiley:

P.S.I adore New Year which entails elation, participation of something new and positive.
Unlikely New Year Old New Year is also commemorated but not on a grand scale :smiley:

One of my close friends is married to a (formerly) Greek Orthodox woman, and his children celebrate all religious holidays twice. They say they celebrate “American” Christmas and “metric” Christmas.