Wuthering Heights: "An oath, and a threat..."

Hello everybody

Could you please tell me the meaning of the highlighted sentences? They are from the famous novel, Wuthering Heights, by Emile Bronte.

I approached, and attempting to take his chubby fist, said:

“How do you do, my dear?”
He replied in a jargon I did not comprehend.
“Shall you and I be friends, Hereton?” was my next essay at conversation.

An oath, and a threat to set Throttler(the dog) on me if I did not “frame of” rewarded my perseverance.

Q1- Why comma after oath?What was the oath?
Q2- Why frame off in inverted commas and what does it mean here?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom

Are those the only things you didn’t understand in that chapter? I can barely read whole sections of it. :lol:

The comma seems to be an effort to give a clear separation between the oath and the threat.

The oath was some sort of cursing or profane expression.

“Frame off” appears to mean “leave” or “go away”. Possibly it’s in quotes because it was very slang or little known at the time the novel was written. Possibly Emily Bront? invented the expression. Possibly it’s intended to be euphemistic for some kind of foul language. I don’t know. Sorry. :cry:

Amy

Dear Amy

Please explain! I did not get you. Do you mean to say that you could not understand Wuthering Heights? I cannot believe it!

Tom

Tom, there are some sections in that chapter that are much harder to read and understand, in my opinion. :wink:

Here are some examples from Chapter 13 (same chapter as your quote):

Now do you understand why I asked if your original quote was the only thing you didn’t understand in that chapter? :lol:

Amy

PS
Please don’t ask me to explain all of the above. 8)