Writing Task 2- Education

Please give me some comments . Thanks a lot
Topic: Some people think the main purpose of education is to make individuals useful to society, other say that education helps them to achieve personal ambitions. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
My essay:
Nowadays, the role of education has been an increasingly widespread concern. While some people believe that many students, who are given education can fulfill their individual targets, I think that schooling for students is more beneficial to society.

On the one hand, there are two underlying reasons why education is an effective method for students to achieve desirable goals. Firstly, it is common knowledge that with the access to education, youngsters can not only broaden their theoretical knowledge but also nurture soft skills such as problem-solving, communication and teamwork skills, which could help them to have countless opportunities to get many jobs with higher incomes. That leads to a considerable improvement in their living standard. Moreover, when completing many courses and training at school, these students could have more qualifications rather than those not having passed the courses, in turn stand a higher chance of moving up the ladder and earn the feelings of being highly esteemed, which would satisfy their personal ambitions

On the other hand, I content that education should be given to students for the sake of society. To begin with, being well-educated by many good teachers and professors at school is of great advantage to the development of students’ moral foundation. As a result, these students gradually become many good citizens. In addition, educations would help students discover their potential abilities together with pushing out the horizon of their knowledge. Consequently, these students would make breakthroughs in this particular fields, which would an important impetus for the development of their countries. For example, after pursuing tertiary education at Chicago University, Ngo Bao Chau has made many staggering achievements in mathematics like the fundamental lemma for automorphic forms and considerable contributions to Vietnamese educational programs.

In conclusion, although education is advantageous to both individuals and society, it seems to me that education plays a more important role in making society better rather than helping individuals attain their objectives.

2 Likes

Hi Th Bui, this seems like a pretty tough topic, and I think you handled it pretty well.
Your first paragraph seemed to focus exclusively on students’ going to school so they can do well in business. The prompt says “personal ambitions” - I don’t know if you can assume that everyone’s ambition is to be a big boss and make a lot of money. Maybe some want to be artists, or musicians, or some other job that may seem “useful to society”. So I read the prompt as asking whether we should let students study whatever they have an interest in, learning for the sake of learning, or should the focus of education be to create a workforce for the future, so science and business courses should be stressed, so that the main motivation of going to school is to get a job, and the love of knowledge is clearly secondary. I guess from my description you can see where my biases lie! :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. Your writing was clear and understandable for the most part, but you did have some grammar mistakes and other small errors in usage. Here are some comments:

2 Likes