Writing Concise sentences

Hello,
Please can anyone help me explain this lesson to me, I really don’t understand it…
I answer the questions and when I look at the answers I find out it’s really different, does it mean that my answer is wrong, or it is just another possible answer??

Well, the question is all about…
Re-write the following sentences to achieve a more concise statement
And according to my structure explanation, writing concise statements means to reduce clauses into phrases and phrases into single words.

1. Citizens who knew what was going on voted him out of office.
    I can’t even understand it to answer it…
    I have the answer-key, but I don’t understand how it came and why…
    So anyone willing to help…

2-The file, which was updated, should be handed tomorrow.
[color=red]The film, updated, should be handed tomorrow.
[color=brown]The updated film should be handed tomorrow.
[color=green]Updated, the film should be handed tomorrow.

Which one of these answers is the correct answer?

3. He returned all what he took back.
He returned all what he took.
Can this be correct?

1. As a matter of fact, they joined and connected the wires.
    [color=red]- They connected the wires.
    [color=blue]- They joined and connected the wires.
    Which one can be correct? Is it necessary to delete one of “connecte” or “joined”?

The original #2 doesn’t make sense; I assume it should say “handed in”. Aside from that, and aside from the fact that you’ve written “film” instead of “file”, your second answer, “The updated (file) should be handed (in) tomorrow”, seems good. You could try the same technique on #1: replace the clause “who knew what was going on” with an attributive adjective describing the citizens.

The original #3 is a bad and potentially ambiguous sentence. I’m not sure if it contains an unintentional mistake or transcription error, or if the poor wording is deliberate and supposed to be corrected. You may be on the right lines with your answer, but “He returned all what he took” is bad English. It should be “He returned all that he took” or just “He returned all he took”.

In #4 I think you are right to delete one of “joined” or “connected”, which mean the same thing. I don’t think it matters which one. Possibly you are also supposed to think of a shorter way to say “as a matter of fact”.

Are these questions compiled by a native speaker and from a professionally produced source, or are they from some random website?

I am an Egyptian student.
And I study at the Open Faculty of Cairo in Egypt, and these questions are included in my lectures of my lessons, and some in previous exams.

Under the same question:-

- [color=red]Tom provided an explanation of the issue to his friend.
Can I answer it this way?

Tom provided an explanation of the issue.
Should I delete (to his friend) to make a concise sentence?

[color=red]- People, who play the piano, are usually very sensitive.
How can this one be concised?
Can this be correct?
- Playing the piano, people are usually very sensitive.
Or/
- People playing the piano are uaually very sensitive [color=brown](People, playing the piano, are usually very sensitive.)

[color=red]- The exam is a piece of cake.
The exam was easy.
Is this correct?

[color=red]- The man, who was elected, was not the best.
The man, elected, was not the best.
Or/
The elected man was not the best.

[color=red]- It goes without saying that what happened will affect the man’s performance.
What happened will affect the man’s performance.

1. The first isn’t actually concise. Let’s just look at what the sentence is saying: TOM is EXPLAINING something TO HIS FRIEND. The things I capitalised are the main things :P. The ‘something’ is vague and should be considered a waste of space.

Thus: ‘Tom provided an explanation to his friend’. We could chop it down even more… ‘Tom explained to his friend’. Really, it depends on HOW concise you want to be; however, I assume you mean as concise as possible, so I shall endeavour to do so.

1. For this you need to realise that it is the people who play the piano are sensitive. What I mean to say is: ‘people, who play the piano, […]’ = ‘pianists […]’. From this, we get: ‘pianists are usually very sensitive’. This can be shortened further to, ‘pianists are very sensitive’ (however, this could be considered skewing the meaning of the sentence), and once again to, ‘pianists are sensitive’. Again, it’s down to how concise you want to be…

2. You’re close. You need to make sure that the two sentences agree with each other in tense as well as meaning. You have said ‘the exam was easy’; this either means that the exam was easy before, or the exam you’ve just taken was easy. You should say ‘the exam IS easy’. This way, the sentence indicates that the test is, at present, easy.

3. This is similar to 2. ‘The man, who was elected, […]’ may be shortened to ‘the candidate […]’, leaving us with, ‘the candidate was not the best’. Generally, we can flip negatives to reduce the amount of words in the sentence; however, this isn’t suggested if it reduces the clarity of the sentence. Using your example, you could conceivably replace ‘not the best’ with ‘poor’, but at the cost of ambiguity. I would simplify it to ‘the candidate wasn’t the best’.

Be glad if anyone can help ME make these sentences more concise. Here are MY final solutions, being as concise as possible:
‘Tom explained to his friend’.
‘Pianists are sensitive’.
‘The exam is easy’.
‘The candidate wasn’t the best’.

Apologies if I, myself, haven’t been too concise :).

Hello,
This is my final revision for this structure.

[color=blue]Re-write the following sentences to achieve a more concise statement:-

[color=red][b]1. They have monitored the activities of conservationists in a cautious manner.
[color=black]They have monitored the activities of conservationists cautiously.

[color=red]2. As a matter of fact, a student is less likely to fail an examination if he knows exactly and specifically what topics will be tested.
[color=black]A student is less likely to fail an examination if he knows exactly what topics will be tested.

[color=red]3. There are several important and significant reasons for this decision.
[color=black]There are several significant reasons for this decision.

[color=red]4. The man, who was elected, was not the best.
[color=black]Can I answer it this way?

[color=red]5. These apples are fit to be eaten.
[color=black]These apples are fit.
Can you explain to me,
If we see infinitive in a sentence and then a verb, in the concise version of the sentence we omit/remove this infinitive?

[color=red]6. It was the parents who expressed their concern about the old house.
[color=black]The parents expressed their concern about the old house.

[color=red]7. It goes without saying that what happened will affect the man’s performance.
[color=black]What happened will affect the man’s performance.

[color=red]8. He returned all what he took.
[color=black]I can’t answer this.

[color=red]9. As a matter of fact, they joined and connected the wires.
[color=black]Though I am not really sure about this I gave this answer to it:
They joined and connected the wires.
Or/
[color=blue]They joined the wires.
[color=black]I have a feeling that there is a difference between (joined) and (connected)

• join probably means to join the wires together.
  • connect means to connect them to the plug or something.

[color=red]10. The basic fundamentals of how to dance were first learned by Jane.
[color=black]The basic fundamentals of how to dance were first learned.
I am not sure, how could I concise this?

[color=red]11. At that point in time when Martin was a teenager, I was sixty.
[color=black]When Martin was a teenager, I was sixty.

[color=red]12. It was Jane who was selected for the final competition.
[color=black]Jane was selected for the final competition.

[color=red]13. To cut a long story short, the sea remained calm.
[color=black]The sea remained calm.
I am not sure about this as well.[/b]

Finally,
Thanks for sharing infromation on these four structures:
[b]- Run-On Sentences.

• Combining Sentences into one Independent Clause.
  • Writing Concise Statements
  • Parallelism[/b]

When I have new information, I will be back.
Goodluck.

Before I start, I’d like to say that, in my opinion, that a concise sentence is very subjective. I have also said (in other posts) that a GOOD sentence should be concise as well as clear. With this in mind, I’ll continue.

[b]

1. They have monitored the activities of conservationists in a cautious manner.[/b]
    They have monitored the activities of conservationists cautiously.

The above is fine.

2. As a matter of fact, a student is less likely to fail an examination if he knows exactly and specifically what topics will be tested.
A student is less likely to fail an examination if he knows exactly which topics will be tested.

‘EXACTLY’ may be omitted.
‘WHICH’ is the correct determiner to use here because there is a finite set of topics which might be tested.

3. There are several important and significant reasons for this decision.
There are several significant reasons for this decision.

You may omit ‘SEVERAL SIGNIFICANT’.

4. The man, who was elected, was not the best.

In place of ‘the elected man’, we may use ‘the candidate’ or ‘the electee’. I would prefer to use ‘the electee’ for the sake of stopping ambiguity.

5. These apples are fit to be eaten.
These apples are fit.
Can you explain to me,
If we see infinitive in a sentence and then a verb, in the concise version of the sentence we omit/remove this infinitive?

If you eliminate the infinitive, in this case, you are leaving the sentence open to many different interpretations. I.e., if you were to have ‘these apples are fit to eat’ this can mean either ‘these apples may be eaten’ or ‘these apples are able to eat’. A possible solution for this might be…:

These apples may be eaten.

or

One may eat these apples. (this is QUITE formal!)

6. It was the parents who expressed their concern about the old house.
The parents expressed their concern about the old house.

‘THEIR’ may be omitted because it is implied by the verb and subject that the concern is theirs.
‘OLD’ may be omitted because it has no intrinsic value, with regards to the actual meaning of the sentence.

7. It goes without saying that what happened will affect the man’s performance.
What happened will affect the man’s performance.

In this case, the gender of the performer isn’t essential to the sentence (you may omit “man’s”).

8. He returned all what he took.
‘To return’ means ‘to give something back’. As such, we don’t need to know that he’s taken it, as it’s implied by the verb.

‘He returned everything’ is satisfactory.

9. As a matter of fact, they joined and connected the wires.
Though I am not really sure about this I gave this answer to it:
They joined and connected the wires.
Or/
They joined the wires.
I have a feeling that there is a difference between (joined) and (connected)

• join probably means to join the wires together.
  • connect means to connect them to the plug or something.

Unless there is some context which does explicitly differentiate the two verbs, we should consider them the same…:

They joined/connected the wires.

10. The basic fundamentals of how to dance were first learned by Jane.
Jane learnt the fundamentals of dancing.

The original sentence suffers from ambiguity - I apologise if I’ve misunderstood the meaning behind it.

11. At that point in time when Martin was a teenager, I was sixty.
When Martin was a teenager, I was sixty.

This seems fine to me.

12. It was Jane who was selected for the final competition.
Jane was selected for the final competition.

We don’t need to mention that it’s the FINAL competition.

13. To cut a long story short, the sea remained calm.
The sea remained calm.

That’s absolutely fine. ‘To cut a long story short,’ is an idiom meaning ‘basically’.

And that’s it!
I hope this has helped you… I’ll endeavour to solve your run-on sentences post tomorrow. Now, I’m half brain-dead from working on this post for half an hour. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Code.

Dear collegues please tell me about (Fronting) and I also help me to how can I wirte beterly? Regards

soory dear collegues ( you help me that how can write beterly English taksts. regards