write

1. He wrote to me a letter.
  2. He wrote a letter to me.
    Are both grammatically correct?
    Thanks.

The first is very unusual and could be found in lyrics or a poem. The second one is standard although many native speakers, especially Americans will use the following phrase: He wrote me a letter.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students in their dormitory during registration week[YSaerTTEW443543]

But, Torsten, when the direct/impersonal object is descriptive, we need to place the personal object first as in: He wrote (to) me a letter stating the reasons for delay.

San Francisco
June 26 (11.11am)

I agree with Torsten. ‘He wrote a letter to me’ is the standard form.

I think Torsten knows I don’t disagree with him and what I mean by ‘descriptive’.

… and yet you provided an example which does not work well.

He wrote me a letter stating the reasons for the delay. -AmE
He wrote a letter to me stating the reasons for the delay. -BrE
He wrote a letter stating the reasons for the delay.
All OK, but not
He wrote to me a letter stating the reasons for the delay.

Well, I never realised I spoke/wrote American! He wrote a letter to me explaining … sounds very ploddy to me. I would have thought - He wrote me a letter explaining … would be the choice. Putting the indirect pronoun first I would suggest is the norm.

Well there you go - you must be more versatile than you thought.

I just wanted to say that the descriptive object would come after the other though, as you say, the indirect object normally comes first.
I’m sorry if the ‘(to)’ in my example has miscarried. I only meant that it was to be taken as if it were there.

Beeesneees,

1. He wrote a letter to me.
  2. He wrote a letter me.
    I know #1 is OK.
    But what about #2?
  3. I wrote to the person concerned.
    Is #3 OK?
    Thanks.
  1. He wrote a letter to me. (OK)
  2. He wrote a letter me. (Not OK. He wrote me a letter.)
  3. I wrote to the person concerned. (OK, as we often use it though what was written is not known.)