Would you please explain to me very clearly what a contemporary is. Please help

Yes, please do so. Museums, oh my, they are absolutely very interesting.

1 Like

Me too.

The last time I went to the local art institute where I live was when I was a kid. I’ve lived a lot of places since then. I always say, “I should go to… while I live here.” But I don’t. Then I move and lose my chance. I’m not getting any younger. I need to kick myself in the ass and do it.

3 Likes

Pre-Covid I would go to the museums about once a month. The Manets, Vermeers, Renoirs and the Leonardo were like old friends I would go to visit.

3 Likes

Hi NN and Arinker,

Do you also like statues besides paintings? If so here’s one for you.

Source: Wikipedia.

It’s ‘Manneke Pis’ van Brussel which is Dutch for ‘Little Pissing Man of Brussels’. As you know, Brussels is the capital of Belgium. I admit that he has an enormous exhibitionist streak, but it’s actually one of our most important tourist attractions. Enjoy it.

@Alan, @Anglophile, @NearlyNapping, @Arinker

3 Likes

I’ve seen him!
He was dressed up appropriately for the season when I was there.

I love sculptures. I have replicas of Rodin’s The Kiss and The Cathedral and Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen. The Rodin Museum in Paris is one of my favorites.

3 Likes

I have to admit that I’m not making plans to fly to Belgium to see the little pissing man. Maybe if I happen to be in the area, I might stop by to see if he’s relieved himself of all that coffee yet.

Manneke - so a diminutive suffix rather than a separate word like in English.

This made me think of the word mannequin. I had never considered before that the root might be “man”. I looked it up, and mannequin comes from French, which in turn comes from Flemish manneken.

4 Likes

I think similar fun can be seen elsewhere as well.

3 Likes

Yes, but the medieval Dutch or Flemish word for man was also ‘mannequin’, for example, ‘Hallo, schone mannequin’, means ‘Hello, handsome man’! :grinning:

2 Likes

True, they usually dress him in winter too. Or when a Head of State comes to Brussels.

1 Like

Hi Anglophile,

Can you tell me where? :grinning:

1 Like

I remember having seen it somewhere in India.

2 Likes

Since this question, I’ve really noticed the word contemporary, and realized how often and how broadly it’s used. It’s usually used in a historical sense, but I’ve also seen reference to contemporaries of people who are currently in their teens or early twenties.

4 Likes