Would it be wrong to remove the comma after "Toronto"?

For example, psychologist Cheryl Grady, PhD, of the University of Toronto, and her colleagues have found that older adults use more of their brains than young adults to accomplish certain tasks. In a study published in the Journal of Neuroscience (Vol. 3, No. 2) in 1994, Grady reported that performing a face-matching task activates mainly the occipital visual areas in younger adults, but older adults use these areas as well as the prefrontal cortex. (Both groups of adults are equally skilled at the task.)

Would it be wrong to remove the comma after “Toronto”?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think you can remove that comma.

You would not usually use a comma before ‘and’.

3 Likes

I’ll bring up a few points for the sake of discussion.

“Cheryl Grady, PhD, of the University of Toronto, and …”

I think this is a case of the title being enclosed in commas. So the comma is not part of a series. For example :

“Cheryl Grady, John Smith and Samantha Henderson” would not use a comma. However, shouldn’t there be a comma before and after the title?

Also, the way I learned it was that long sentences, phrases or clauses can be an exception. For example :

Jerry has a pet dog, hamster, parakeet and cat.
Jerry has a pet dog, hamster, parakeet, and a rambunctious cat named Frisky who makes a mess of everything.

Both sentences list a series of four items. I learned that the comma is optional in the second case because of it’s length.

2 Likes