'would' in the sentence

Hi,
I’ve recently encountered ‘would’ and can’t understand its meaning:
“My sister was staying here, at the rectory, you know, some four years ago, and she gave me letters of introduction to some of the people here.” He made the last statement in a tone of distinct regret.
“Then you know practically nothing about my aunt?” pursued the self-possessed young lady.
“Only her name and address,” admitted the caller. He was wondering whether Mrs. Sappleton was in the married or widowed state. An undefinable something about the room seemed to suggest masculine habitation.
“Her great tragedy happened just three years ago,” said the child; “that would be since your sister’s time.”
Please could you explain the meaning of ‘would’ in this context?

2 Likes

Hi Irina,

‘That would be’ in the text you have sent, means ‘that probably was’ - ‘I think I am probably right when I say it was’. The uncertainty is indicated as a subjunctive of ‘will’. For example when you are talking about a time when something is going to happen and you know the exact time, you say - That will be next Tuesday for our next meeting. Today when because the virus changes so often, you probably say - That would be next Tuesday for our regular meeting if nothing changes in the mean time.

Hope that helps.
Alan

3 Likes

Thank you for your help, Alan!

1 Like