Works commercially added to the Directive

Hi,

Please could you explain what ‘works commercially added to the Directive’ means in the following extract:

The provisions of Articles 7, 8 and 9 of the draft of the European Directive on copyright in the Digital Single Market are quite similar to those put in place by France.Its application would therefore enable the digitization and dissemination of out-of-commerce works in the future. France would, however, like to see the possibility of exploiting these works commercially added to the Directive.

To my mind, it had meaning if the works would have added to a database but not to the directive (legal document). Besides, they are added on a paid basis. Probably, I don’t understand the structure of the sentence. It would be interesting to hear your opinions.

2 Likes

In very simple terms: France wants the European law on copyright which applies to the non-commercial sector to apply to the commercial sector as well. That’s how I understand this text.

2 Likes

Does ‘added’ refer to ‘the possibility’?

2 Likes

As Torsten has lucidly explained the meaning of your text, there is very little for me to say further. You seem hung up on the word ‘added’ and use it in the active form but in the passage it is used in the passive. I would say it simply means ‘included’.

Alan

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Torsten and Alan!

2 Likes