With a passion greater than anyone else

“Actress Song Yoo-jung has left us,” Sublime Artist Agency wrote in an Instagram post.

“Yoo-jung was a friend who always gave us happiness with a bright smile, and an awesome actress who acted with a passion bigger than anyone.”

Should it be “anyone else” instead?

Thanks.

2 Likes

“Actress Song Yoo-jung was a friend who always made us happy with a bright smile, and a great actress who acted with a passion greater than anyone else.”

1 Like

I’m pretty much ok with the original sentence, even with its logical disconnect.

@Torsten“s is better, though I might make it …”anyone else’s.”

As to the overall structure of the sentence, it was a little bit awkward to me. When I got to “an awesome actress”, I first tried to link it back to “gave us happiness” or “a bright smile” rather than to the actual verb “was” which was a bit farther back near the beginning of the sentence.

2 Likes

She can’t have more passion than herself. So the word ‘else’ is understood, so it’s not needed.

The sentence is slightly cumbersome, but it’s completely understandable without having to work at it.

I would prefer two sentences, but it’s not a big deal. I would also prefer “more passion”. Or maybe “She’s a more passionate actress than anyone [else].” That’s not a big deal either.

2 Likes

Hmmm. The possessive doesn’t seem right to me, but I’m not quite sure why. Can passion even be possessed?

2 Likes

I think “… who acted with a passion bigger than (what/that) anyone else had.” should be ideal.

2 Likes