Win-win-situation! Who's the loser?

Hi Michael!

I’m very glad to hear that now you get a time to have rest.

… anyway, looking forward to Saturday, as usual? :slight_smile:

Michael, could you add an additional comment for me, please?

From your words (“my”) I can guess that the man (the coach) is your trainer. Right?
And for your horse you yourself is a full-blood coach. Right?
Or he trains you both – in your pair?

How – do you think/feel/guess/etc – your horse take him (his status)?

(My question is arisen as my dog – when she was young – was very sensitive :slight_smile: to a hierarchy (being gregarious by her nature, as well as all horses are).
For example, when/if she saw that I myself submitted to smb.’s instructions she tended to take him/her as a superior – as a leader of our flock. :slight_smile:
In particular, I remember that some time (especially when she was 2-4) I had some problems with it, because she tried to ‘re-ask’ my husband for validation, whether my commands were actually ‘right’ for her to be carried out - or not obligatory :slight_smile: )

Tamara

Hi Amy! Hi Tamara!

Amy, today my XXL-weekend has begun 8) and I want to thank you for requesting me to tell about my work of the recent days. Now I want to ask you for a bit patience to read more about my work :roll: since I?d prefer to relax and tell a bit about my regards to my horse. I?ll come back to your question, I promise!

Tamara, the regards between my coach and me are more different. I knew him in 1999 when he and another guy taught me and some else people in riding horses. I had been impressed by his (Lutz`) knowledges about horses and his patience and courage when working with horses. Particularly impressing was how he managed to work with them. Lutz was one of that people who had understood that to be the leader of horses doesn?t depend on his own body power but on his mental power and regards between humans and horses. It?s really obvious that many people try to do that but probably only few are capable that.

What also was very interesting was his way of holding the reins, I mean he never (as long as I know him) pushed the reins to hard, so that it is pleasant for the horses to become guided by him. After my lessons for coachmen (driver-license class 4) the class decided to take more education and asked him to continue on teaching us and he agreed. Step by step the other members of our group disappeared from several reasons and Lutz didn?t have a co-coach you need to have while coaching. So I took this part some 4 years ago and have had meanwhile some more lessons. During that time we noticed having the same imaginations in handling horses and that we are druggels in the common usual way. In fact I?ve ridden horses from the highest German contest-class and have noticed that most people have stiffness and soreness after riding their horses for a while (and believe that it is neccessary to be strong.) Imagine what happens in the horses mouthes as whole the power of their arms act on the horses jaw.

Well, in a nutshell, Lutz is owner of the highest German trainer-license and I? learned a lot from him till now. But to be honest, I wouldn?t allow him once again to train my horse, as I possibly could lose my state of being the leader of the little flock of my horse and me, or at least to be the alpha.

About how my horse guesses his state I?m not really sure. For that you must know that my horse is a daughter of one of his mares and I bought her in the age of four years. As my mare wasn?t really educated when I took her I taught she some things (likely more than Lutz did) and so I think for the moment I am the alpha in our flock and must look to stay that when I want her to respect me and respect me as the leader.

I think animals have a good feeling for hierachy and figure rather quick out who the leader is. Beside that, I think, you have to consider the usual social behaviour of your pet, so that you are able to find out how you can be the leader. Hint: In my opinion that works with humans, too! :wink:

Michael

Hi Michael!

Sorry for being late :slight_smile:
Not to deepen in more detail: I had some troubles because of yesterday’s ‘Heathrow crisis’.

Certainly, Michael, you’re right when saying - again and again - how important patience is in/for almost every area of life. I myself clearly need to hire a good (and calm ;)) coach to teach me how to stay calm/keep patience and be (even more :)) tolerant and flexible.

Thank you for your ‘horse-and-horseman’ story, it’s really interesting for me.
I like horses, generally :slight_smile: (you, perhaps, know that people who love large dogs usually tend to feel sympathy to horses, as well). I also :slight_smile: like you – personally :). And I like speaking English. Just devoted fan :slight_smile:
So, talking to you in English about those ‘best God’s creatures’ :wink: – what a pleasure it is!

Hmm. If I understood you right, you yourself are not quite ready ‘to risk’ and allow your excellent coach to train (to influence) your horse directly. And as I think, on the one hand it’s reasonable… ‘even more sure hand’ :)… and all of that, you understand.

On the other hand – I know well that many adult dogs (and, I think, those ‘not-wild’ horses who actually have many generations socializing with people and serving people’ needs) are - at least! - as clever and distinctive, as most advanced-and-the-best primary-school-age children :). And they also can distinguish “parents” (…family, flock) and “teachers”.

But, of course, I know nothing about Arab horses’ psychology. I’m just learning English and talking to you to my own pleasure. :slight_smile:

I also would be glad to know something about the machine you maintain, support, provide and coach (managing to stay the true ‘alpha’ for it :wink: )

See you,
Tamara

:shock: :shock:

Hi Tamara!

You sound depressed. What is it all around you? Is the English a foreigner misstrusting people? Or do I understand your reply wrong?

Now, I don?t mean that you have to suffer pressure while being patient. By being patiently I mean that it is sensible if you don?t try to achieve your goals straight without being unjust but always having a look on what is nowadays possible and sometimes making a step back because the step you intended to do today isn?t likely.

So I hope your yesterday?s trouble wasn?t that personally?

Thank you and I like giving you the flowers (compliments) back.

Hmm… That has to do with my own state in horses mind. As horses respect strictly rows of range and if there is somebody having a higher range than I it will follow him, like you mentioned the behave of your Great Dane when it had been in the age of 2-4 years. And it might be dangerous if the horse doubt in your range when you ride it along the street. As my coach tries to follow this rule he himself is always eager to be the alpha of the flock. And if I would allow him to be the alpha I myself could be the beta max and don?t have the command of our little flock. Of course when we are riding his horses I take the part of the beta, but not regarding my horse.

Sorry it?s late now. I?ll come back tomorrow and like talking to you again.

Hope you had a good sleep if you read my post tomorrow,

Michael

Hi Michael!

Yes, I’d say that it’s exactly two the hardest ‘acts’ (both generally and personally :)) - to admit (my) current-and-real powerless and/or to admit (my) recent idiocy and make step(s) back to recover the situation.

Sorry for that. Now I seem, in one accord with UK flight service, to be better and ‘back to normal’. :slight_smile:

OK, OK.
[size=84](But don’t you think that, sometimes our pets and children actually can understand much, much more than we think they can… :slight_smile: )[/size]
OK. OK. OK.

Hmm…
Michael, does give/pay compliments back (“Oh…. thankeeee…” :slight_smile: ) in Germany mean the same as flowers back :shock:
I’d say that in my mind and culture the latter act has a very different meaning.
That’s why I’d prefer to take another interpretation (“changing compliments”) – even though from my side it was not just a compliment :slight_smile: :smiley: )

Your mysterious machine still occupies my mind, but if you don’t like to think about it this weekend, that’s fine. I can understand it :slight_smile:

So… have a nice weekend and pleasant evening horse-ride :slight_smile:
See you,
Tamara

Good morning Tamara!

What an interesting subject-line. I?ll take that term into my minds.

Hmm…, too! :wink: Sorry for that missunderstandable response. Of course I didn?t mean that I would gave you the same flowers back, but some other ones. You?re right using the other expression (changing compliments) and it was my mistake when I tried to put my thoughts in a nutshell.

Now, let me express it that way: I like you personally too and also talking to you in English and once again, sorry for having used a silly sounding term for expressing my thoughts. :oops:

My mysterious machine is a dryer. Not a dryer for clothes but for metal sheet. To explain: Perhaps you know, for achieving an “endless” long metallsheet and be able to store or transport it, it sometimes becomes coiled. To conserve the sheet it gets oiled. Before it can be worked on with colour or something else it must become cleaned. So the sheet becomes washed with several liquids and then passes the dryer I?ve built. The problem was that I myself hadn?t built such a machine before and had rather temporary pressure. It was a hard work and after having finished that task I?ve been burned out as the pressure lasted about four weeks.

By the way, some technical data:

length: 300 cm
width : 300 cm
height: 300 cm
weight: 4.500 kg

Have a nice weekend, too,

Michael

Hi Tamara
There is an expression in German and the direct English translation is “Thanks for the flowers”. It means (as you’ve correctly surmised) “Thanks for the compliment(s).” :smiley:

By the way, the Germans are very fond of giving people flowers. In the US, usually a man gives flowers to a woman as a romantic gesture. Or you might give your mother flowers on Mothers Day. But, in Germany, flowers are given much more often. It’s not uncommon for people to bring flowers when they’ve been invited to someone’s home, for example.

Amy

Hi Amy!

The same is true for the UK and Russia. In both countries a bunch of flowers is quite usual and proper thing when you’re going to look in on a woman - of any age and relationship. Or women. :slight_smile: And especially when you drop in without special invitation :slight_smile:

Yes, I only meant that flowers back for me, Russian, sounds as if smb. :slight_smile: who had been given flowers, has rejected to admit them and decidedly returned them back (as Michael noted).
In contrast to ‘return compliments’ which means ‘changing complements’, with no any doubt :).

And, of course, in any culture there is a special ‘flower language’ – and the bunch you present can speak, sometimes even better than we ourselves (and sometimes even against :slight_smile: )

Thank you for your “Thanks for the flowers” :slight_smile: I’ll learn the meaning.

Tamara

Hi Michael!

Ah!
I remember you told that you’re a steel engineer.
(By the way, the adjective ‘steel’ admits the second interpretation: (an engineer) made of steel. :wink: :smiley: )

O-o-o-oh… Your machine isn’t a pony, is it? :slight_smile: :wink:

Thanks for your introducing the machine to us. And vice versa, I hope :slight_smile:

Despite it’s raining hopelessly - from the early morning… I’ll try – in contrary to :slight_smile:

Tamara

Oh, dear! They’d have to be pretty disgusting flowers in that case, wouldn’t they? Or else you’d have to assume that you’re “in the doghouse” if someone rejects your flowers. :lol:

Amy

Good morning, Amy :slight_smile:

Yes, accepting/rejecting flowers can mean much more than just ‘disgusting flowers’ :).

In quite many cases when/if you accept flowers, you demonstrate that you agree with something that is implied. Sometimes with no any ‘romantic’ shade. :slight_smile:

Just a couple of examples (just in case: flowers are used here in their direct meaning :))

He sent them flowers as a propitiatory gesture.
He made amends for his rudeness by giving her some flowers.

In both these cases bunch-of-flowers is just a step in negotiation. :slight_smile:
If she (or they :)) rejected flowers, he obviously would be just a wretched loser, sitting in the doghouse :).
Else - they both would/could be winners. :slight_smile:

Tamara