"Why do you keep getting in the ..... of my making friends here? You always tell me that it is good that I am meeting people but when I make plans with them you get mad at me?" John asked Melissa

"Why do you keep getting in the ..... of my making friends here? You always tell me that it is good that I am meeting people but when I make plans with them you get mad at me?" John asked Melissa. (*) plan (*) way (*) object (*) refusal

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/14155,why-do-you-keep-getting-in-the-___-of-my-making-friends-here-you-always-tell-me-that-it-is-good-that-i-am-meeting-people-but-when-i-make-plans-with-them-you-get-mad-at-me-john-asked-melissa/
2 Likes

“Why do you keep getting in the way of my making friends here? You always tell me that it is good that I am meeting people but when I make plans with them you get mad at me?” John asked Melissa.

answer: way

3 Likes

Yes, ‘keeping getting in the way’ is correct. How would say this in a different way?

2 Likes

“Why do you keep preventing me from making friends here?
I would use the word “prevent” or “to stand in my way.” Am I correct?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a very good way of expressing the same meaning. Out of interest, have you taken any official language test such as the TOEIC of TOEFL to assess your level of English? I would say it’s probably C1 at least.

1 Like

sorry, what is a C1? No, I haven’t taken any type of tests except for the ones I take here and other sites.

2 Likes

C1 is a degree of mastering a language based on this system: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - Wikipedia

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know that. Actually, I don’t even know all the levels of English there are like the TOEIC & TOEFL and now the C1? What are they? I never took a test to find out which level I am. Is there a test you could suggest for me to do? By the way, why is written English so much easier than speaking it? With all that pronunciation your mouth comes across it feels as though you’re doing tongue twisters all the damn time!

2 Likes

You know, I have been thinking about your answer. It turns out that countries like the US, France, the UK, Germany and other countries we often classify as ‘developed countries’ are way ‘over-regulated’. We have a test, certificate and/or exam for every single part of life. It’s crazy. You are an excellent example of a person who has achieved a tremendous level of success when it comes to learning a language without being forced into a fixed system. Please keep it that way :wink:

If you do want to test your level of English I recommend you take this this test: Tests | english.best

Let me know what you score is – I’m curious.

1 Like

thank you for suggesting that test to me. It was super hard and the timing made me very nervous but any way here is my results:
results for all the sections in this test

Questions answered correctly

45 / 50

Your total score

83.75 / 100

2 Likes

That’s a great result. Do you happen to remember which questions you got wrong?

1 Like

what threw me off most was the timing and I think that is also the main reason why I don’t like taking the tests here. I hate being under pressure even if it’s just for fun. I despise being rushed. You should create an option where we can turn it on or off. What I struggled the most was the very last questions. I believe it’s called reading comprehension? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, the last part is called ‘reading comprehension’ and thank you very much for letting me know about the time issue, we’ll add an option to switch the timer off :+1:.

If you want to answer the questions without any time pressure now you can answer them here: Although oarsmen are extremely ..... at taking tourists into the Grotto, they are severely limited by space; the small opening makes it necessary for guests to lie on their backs until the boat clears the entrance. | english.best

1 Like

Thank you so much for listening to your student’s suggestion that’s what makes an exceptional teacher! Not all of us do well under pressure so I truly appreciate that.

2 Likes