Why do Americans cook a turkey in the Thanksgiving Day?

Hello,

Is anyone here in the forum know Why do Americans cook a turkey in the Thanksgiving Day?

Thanks!

Julius

So sad! No one knows ;{

Well, it’s a good question. I guess it’s because the turkey is an animal that represents prosperity and peace.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Children having fun[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thank you Torsten for answering me. :wink:

So sorry for being dramatic. lol!

I think this survey is really true. :wink:

gallup.com/poll/158882/singa … world.aspx ( about the Philippines )

Thanks,

Julius

Hi, Juliusestella

I asked an American friend about the Thanksgiving turkey and he said that the first colonists who came to the American continent used to eat wild turkeys because they were easy-to-be chased, as they were many.
Then I found a site that expands the subject and takes us to a story (legend); I don’t know how much we can trust sites, but here’s the link:
coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/turkey.asp

Monica

Hello, Monica

The site you have given me is really informative. :wink: Since America changed geese to turkey because it was more abundant and easier to find than geese. How about it England, do they still ahave geese in Thanksgiving?

Thank you Monica!

Julius

Thanksgiving is an American festival. We don’t celebrate it in Britain.

The British celebrate every day, especially the Welsh ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A girl by mailboxes[YSaerTTEW443543]

You smoothie!

Who? Me? I’m a tough guy, not a smoothie ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A beautiful doorway[YSaerTTEW443543]

I think turkey has become so popular because it is cheap, easy to cook, and can serve a lot of people. Really, the only problem is it doesn’t taste that good :slight_smile: But that is what the wine (and the side dishes) are for. Another benefit of turkey though is the leftovers make great sandwiches (often tasting better than the turkey did the first time around).

Lets talk turkey, I quit eating hot turkey cold turkey.
Hehe.

[size=59]PS: I have never been one for making sense[/size]

Please note the difference between “let’s” and “lets”. By the way, I quit smoking cold turkey. Hehe.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Rescue personnel helping out[YSaerTTEW443543]

Turkey makes me sleepy . . . zzzzz . . .

Clau . . . zzz . . . di . . . zzz . . . aaaaah

I see. I thought the idea was from England and they just transferred it to the US. I mean the settlers from England.