Why Dinosaurs Died and Insects Survived?

Do you know why dinosaurs died and insects survived from the meteor strikes some 65.5 million years ago?

There are things to learn from it. Can you imagine and make some lines?

kind regards.

This is an interesting question, Kyaw, especially knowing what caused you to open this thread:

Darwin. :slight_smile:

I would like to just give you some food for thought:

There are a lot of people who do not believe that dinosaurs ever existed. (I’m not one of them, lol).

Scientists are still debating on whether it was indeed a meteor, volcanic activity, or climatic changes.

Although the vast majority of scientists surmise that it was a space rock which hit Chicxulub, they are still debating on how greatly it really did affect the environment and how.

Of these scientists, none of them are certain whether the extinction was caused by dust (suffocation), burning debris (igniting large-scale fires), poisonous gasses and sulfur (poisoning the land), or black soot (darkening the sky, and without sufficient light, plants cannot grow).

Thus, as long as we don’t know the actual cause, we cannot tell why the dinosaurs became extinct while insects survived. (Though some say it was because of their size, which I personally doubt. Rather it was pure luck: perhaps some species were able to live in the ground and were therefore able to survive).

But most importantly, which is often overlooked:

Dinosaurs were not the only ones who got extinct. A lot of species of plants, animals and insects, yes, insects, also vanished.

Claudia

Intelligent as ever Claudia,

Lack or exhaustion of food chain and water, their population at the time of the holocaust, regeneration time , lost of habitat, their trauma of the holocaust can be the other factors of it. Are the dinosaurs sensitive and sensible as human as well? Yes? If so they would have had a kind of adversities to regenerate.

*A lot of species of plants, animals and insects, yes, insects, also vanished.

Insects can survive certain severe attacks than the larger animal and they can regenerate faster and more adaptable to any habitat than the dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs were the aristocrats of their times? Difficult to survive in a condition where they don’t have their favourite wine.

kind regards.

How about the Permian/Triassic extinction? It was the worst ever (so far) and killed off 90% of the species. The human race seems to be doing its best to top this number, but the bar has been set pretty high.

science.nationalgeographic.com/s … xtinction/

Do you know that there is also the theory out there that it wasn’t the meteor that caused the extinction, but insects? Some scientists believe that disease-carrying, bloodsucking/biting insects slowly but surely led to the dinosaurs’ demise.

A lot of people think that the extinction took place right after the meteor hit. That is not true, though. It took place over a time-span of thousands of years.

Humans contribute a great deal to life and habitat destruction. I won’t say Earth destruction because Earth will always regenerate. Humans are only hurting themselves with their pollution. However, I believe that global warming is mainly natural, perhaps accelerated by humans. There were climatic changes in the past, very severe ones. Nature isn’t tame, never will be, and that is good.

Claudia

I believe that global warming is mainly natural, perhaps accelerated by humans. ( so true to my little brain )

Nature isn’t tame, never will be, and that is good. ( Oh, it coincides with my small thought. )

kind regards.

I believe that global warming is mainly caused by man - the correlation between CO2 and temps seems convincing to me as well as the mechanism. Besides some arctic and alpine species though, I don’t think it will be the main cause of extinctions. I think most animals will be able to shift their ranges north to compensate. The main cause is our every expanding population and the need for more and more agricultural land as well as our over-fishing the ocean. I have no idea what the solution is though. :frowning:

*The main cause is our every expanding population and the need for more and more agricultural land as well as our over-fishing the ocean.

It goes back to the 'survival of the fittest?

There are solutions to population control and global warming of freezing. Every problem has its own solution, I reckon.

But as you know there are a lot of politics things and they normally hinder or eliminate the simple solutions.

kind regards.

Absolutely! The lobbies will not tolerate alternatives as they would destroy them, and since a lot of politicians are chairmen of precisely these firms, progress and improvements are slowed down immensely. But they can’t continue on doing that forever. That is my only hope.

Claudia

The CO2 emission has slowed down quite a bit in the past ten years and other environmental precautions are also starting to take effect, yet the global warming is still taking place as quickly as ever. In the 12th and 13th century, Germany had a climate similar to Italy. Findings of species of plants and insects prove that. Soon, we will have such a climate again.

Claudia

Because the weakness sometimes is being the secret of strength…

Anyway, if you asked me where I would like to spend my vacation this summer, I would tell you I wish I can spend the next summer in the eras of Dinosaurs I’m very interested in extinct creatures, is that because they were extinct?..

Yes likely, the curiosity toward every mysterious thing…

Imagine if lions, and tigers had been extinct for millions of years, I’m sure that we would think about it as much as we think about dinosaurs now. they would be something bigger than a legend, and I’m sure that we will not know if tiger is stripy in the reality because what in our hands is fossils,

what about the elephant?.. look at the interesting of scientists in the mammoth baby, which had been discovered in Siberia…

But let me admit that I have a special interesting to the world of…

Hi Jam,

thank you for posting those pictures! They are really cool.

Aren’t dinosaurs cute? Makes me want to throw a saddle on their backs and take a ride. How I would love to fly on one over the land and set the castles of evil lords on fire! No, wait, that’s a dragon I’m thinking of . . . :wink:

Claudia

I think most dinosaurs were herbivorous. I believe so. Like most of huge body animals are , for instance , rhinoceroses, elephants, whales.

Since large body animals like dinosaurs may need at least half ton of meat a day or more. In their time most living things might be more of vegetables and plants than animals. They can’t survive for a long time if they entirely depend only on meat? So they should chose to eat veges from the start. Most of them. Animal instinct?

kind regards.

From now on I’m a soldier of evil lord…

And I have to snipe the dragon with an ablaze arrow…

Be sure you will not fall on ground…,

all the huge green and black tulips will protect you…

There are many of open arms ready to your arrival.

Don’t be afraid, all the world is with you…

Even the ablaze arrow…

Safely seated on the back of my beloved dragon, I dart for the clouds. As I glance over my reptilian companion’s neck, I see two rows of archers lining the battlements; the men in the first row draw their bows in unison and take aim at me. But only one of the archers looses: a handsome, dark-haired man with golden-brown eyes. His hauberk and plate armor look worn. He must be a seasoned warrior, I surmise. The arrow is flitting through the air. Its high-pitched whistling sound is growing ever louder. Alarmed, I pull my sword from its scabbard and hold it up. Its blade reflects the blue of the sky. I am ready. My left hand tightens the reins and my dragon understands at once; she is beating her mighty wings more slowly now. The burning arrow is whizzing straight at me. The archer certainly knows where to aim before he looses; but he did not count on me spotting the arrow before it could hit its target. I do not wish to get out of the missile’s way. No. I want to use it as a warning, a demonstration of my strength, speed and will. I can see the fiery, gleaming arrowhead. My heart is beating like a drum–boom, boom, boom–as if to accompany the whirring of the arrow. I lunge and strike with my sword; its blade cuts the arrow in half. Sparks are whirling about me, but I remain unharmed. I laugh out loud as the two halves of the arrow are falling to the ground into a field of huge green and black tulips . . .

Claudia

The world could be a beautiful coma
The coma is opening every part from my body,
The subconscious is making me a mass of emotions…
The fear could be the base of courage…
The darkness could be a bridge to the light,
The doubt could be a guide-line to the truth…
The truth could be a road to the coma…

come with me!..
There a place near the lips of volcano…
Faraway from the danger,
And too close to the danger!

It is exciting and deathless game,
The players are deathless too
Where Adam and Eve are trying again to renew the love
to get started their new mission.
Love is a seat for two persons
A saddle for two passengers on the back of dragon…
You are a free in the deep space
Under the dome of sky,
A free from the node of fear,
breathing the open-air,
While I’m surrounded by the smoke of volcanoes…
And subjected to the authority of the earth,
Thinking about escaping from the military service…
And joining you, on the back of dragon.

The archers lower their bows and gape at me as if they cannot believe what they had just witnessed. I am still laughing when suddenly the warrior who had loosed the flaming arrow climbs upon the parapet, holds on to a merlon so as not to lose his balance, and starts to sing. His voice sounds deep and sweet:

The world could be a beautiful coma . . .

My laughter fades as I listen to his song. The words are beautiful, their meaning profound. My dragon is beating her wings with the graceful steadiness of a calm heart. Yet, I can feel that she’s nervous.

. . . Come with me!
There’s a place near the lips of the volcano,
far away from danger,
and too close to danger! . . .

A low rumbling joins in the warrior’s singing. The earth is shaking and rupturing. In the distance, an ash plume is rising from the volcano. The clouds around me are rolling and whirling . . .

. . . You are free in the deep space
under the dome of the sky,
free from the node of fear,
breathing the open air, . . .

You are right, I mutter under my breath. I am free, and free I shall remain. Are you truly a soldier? Or are you a sorcerer? Perhaps you are the evil lord himself? The volcano erupts, spitting lava and ash. Its bubbling and roaring is deafening my ears. By now, my beloved dragon is seething with rage. The fire will not harm her, for she is a child of the flames, but it will harm me, even kill me. I am the blood of her blood: if I die, so will she.

. . . while I’m surrounded by the smoke of volcanoes
and subjected to the authority of the earth,
thinking about deserting from military service . . .
And joining you, on the back of the dragon.

The warrior’s voice is cutting through the noise like a dagger. Swiftly and sweetly, it penetrates my mind. He is not singing, I realize. He is thinking! Who are you? I wonder. What are you trying to do? Are you telling me the truth? Or are you trying to lure me into a trap? The warrior’s singing stops. He reaches out his hand and beckons me . . .

Claudia

In front of me a blond woman, what is the more beautiful?.. her face or her mind?, her voice or her silence?..

Beautiful creature, have you come now to mock me at the hour of my pride?

I’m telling the truth… you will not find a more beautiful than my evils…
I was a proud of my insuperable fort, which was made to withstand the Iron and fire…
Which is surrounded with stones and spears…

A proud of my men who are armored with Hellenic shields and courages
I was a proud of what I had, when I discovered that my heart is a quite bare, full of hidden scars, and weak in front of the golden hair and red lips.
The wattle flower must be cut!.. unless you have had a big deal…
Lend me your ear… not the only my heart which wants you!, the trees. the lake, the roses and the giant tulips await you…
do you remember our giant tulips?!..

My saint, if you are not going to host me at your sky…

you are welcome in my earth…

My dragon growls warily. The earthquake, the volcanic eruption, and the brewing of a storm are ill omens in her eyes. At the bottom of my heart, I know she’s right. If he is indeed the evil lord, would he really give up his dark realm, his invulnerable fortress, and his proud men? Would he truly step out of the darkness and into the light, stop the imminent death and destruction of the world, its animals and plants, and let go of his hatred, bitterness and scorn to feel the warmth of love . . . for me?

The fortress is not flammable, the handsome warlord said, and his men are armed too well. This would not be an easy battle–much too risky for me to attempt an attack under such conditions. The surface of our planet is at stake. Should I lose, the volcano will wreak havoc on the world like it once did on Thera . . .

I slide my sword back into its scabbard. My dragon snorts as if to ask: Are you certain? I pet her neck reassuringly. “I am”, I whisper to her. “I need to take his word for it, but the basis of a good relationship is trust.” I have to grin. “Call me a fool, but at least I am a fool for love.” Sighing, my dragon dashes forward, toward the castle walls.

As we are flying along the battlements and past the archers, I grab the lord’s outstretched hand and hoist him up on my dragon’s back. Suddenly, the earth stops to shake, the volcano lies dormant, the ash starts to settle, and the clouds disappear. Our dragon carries us over the giant green and black tulips at a great speed.

Claudia

You are the country which gives me the identity, if I don’t love you, I would live without motherland…

I have accompanied many of the angels and demons
I have fought the thieves of darkness, and defeated the enemies…
I chased the rebels every where, and destroyed their dreams.
I grided the stars with my teeth…
I cut the moon into two halves…
I mixed the blood with wine.

But I have been defeated in front of unruliness of my heart…
You have moved the battle to another yard…
The yard of my emotions…
Why have I built my splendor?, my heyday?
.and my delusions?..
I have a chance now to get rid of my past.

I have a chance now to climb the rocks and drink the clouds with you…

A chance to smell the aroma on the leaves of spearmint…

A chance to circle your waists with my arm.

A chance to grab the sharp thorns from my feet…

A chance to pick off the berries from the branch of lust…

and run together without knowing where, and why…

“Where” and “Why”!.. haven’t they fallen from our thoughts and our lives? …

I would leave the kingdom of stones and sands

for a kingdom of liberty and love…