Who or whom usage

Hello everyone,
I’m reading a topic on CNN.

They called Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Michael Brown, a “heroic killer” of Brown, whom they dubbed a “black terrorist,” with no evidence whatsoever.

I think that ‘whom’ is used after preposition, but there is nk preposition. Could you please explain the usage?
Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Whom, like him, her, me, and us, is used as an object. As you said, it can be the object of a preposition - “For whom the bell tolls …”

But it can also be the object of a verb, as in “You saw whom at the store?”

In your sentence, the clause is "whom they dubbed a "black terrorist’ " Here “they” is the subject and “dubbed” is the verb. The clause can be rewritten “they dubbed whom”. So here whom is acting as the object of the verb “dubbed”.

3 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to say, welcome back to the forum and thanks for your great question! To be honest, at least here in the US, most people seem to have given up on ol’ whom and just use who instead.

2 Likes

@Anhminh1232002, welcome to the forum and thank you for raising this question. As T. J. says, most of our American friends serm to have abandoned the object pronoun ‘whom’ much to the disappointment of many ESL teachers :joy:.

2 Likes