Who buys music albums in the UK?

Topic: The graphs below show the types of music albums purchased by people in Britain according to s3x and age. Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below.

The given bar charts illustrate the percentage of people who buy 3 different types of music albums in the UK, namely pop, rock and classical music, classified into various genders and age groups.

The data shows that between the two genders, men always buy music albums more than women. Among 4 age groups, the one of between 25 - 34 years old has the highest percentage on average, while people above the age of 45 tend to buy music albums the least.

People who purchased Pop and Rock music are dominantly male, with 28% and 25%, respectively. In these two genres, the percentage of male buyers is at least 10% higher than that of female buyers. However, in the category of Classical music, even though male percentage still exceeds female percentage, the gap between two figures is less than 4%, with around 6% for female buyers and nearly 10% for male buyers.

Looking at different age groups, it is clear that most musical albums were purchased by people between 25 and 34 years old. This age group made up above 30% of all purchases for both Pop and Rock music, which makes it the biggest group in these 2 categories, while the smallest percentage is of the group over 45 years old. In contrast, the highest percentage of buyers for Classical music albums belongs to the group of people who are from 45 and above, and the smallest group is of youngsters from 16 to 24 years old.

(248 words)

2 Likes

Hi, I think you did a great job of summarizing the data given. My main fault is that you didn’t really make clear what the percentages mean. Just like it is important to always say what units the charts measure, here it is critical to tell the reader exactly what the percentages refer to. Apart from this, your writing is very clear with only a few small grammatical errors. Here are some specific comments:

The given bar charts illustrate the percentage of people who buy 3 different types of music albums in the UK, namely pop, rock and classical music, classified into various genders and age groups.

The data shows that between the two genders, men always buy music albums more than women.{this “always” is a little problematic because it sounds like you are saying a man will always buy more albums than a woman - maybe say “men as a group buy more music albums”} Among 4 age groups, the one of between 25 - 34 years old {or probably better, “those between 25-34 …”} has the highest percentage on average, while people above the age of 45 tend to buy music albums the least.

People who purchased Pop and Rock music are dominantly male, with 28% and 25%, [of men buying albums in these styles] respectively. {these percentages are a little confusing, because it sounds like you might be saying that men account for 28% and 25% of the sales, which is not true - I think you need to explain what the percentages mean a little better} In these two genres, the percentage of male buyers is at least 10% higher than that of female buyers. However, in the category of Classical music, even though [the] male percentage still exceeds [the] female percentage,{or better, “exceeds that of females”} the gap between two figures is less than 4%, with around 6% for female buyers and nearly 10% for male buyers.

Looking at different age groups, it is clear that most musical albums were purchased by people between 25 and 34 years old. This age group made up above 30% of all purchases for both Pop and Rock music, which makes it the biggest group in these 2 categories, while the smallest percentage [in these two categories] is of the group over 45 years old. In contrast, the highest percentage of buyers for Classical music albums belongs to the group of people who are [age] 45 and above, and the smallest group is of youngsters from 16 to 24 years old. {I don’t think someone in their 20’s is really considered a “youngster”}

3 Likes

Are people nowadays really still buying music albums? I mean, why would you buy an entire album when you like only a certain number of tracks on that particular album? I would reckon that the vast majority of young folks these days have a monthly subscription to a music streaming service such as Google Music or Spotify so offering and marketing entire music albums seems to be a model of the past.

2 Likes