While travelling to the spa

While travelling to the spa’s remote location could be hectic, visitors to the spa more than made up for the stress by unwinding in a supremely placid environment .

Can anyone explain please what does the sentence mean, specially the bold part.

3 Likes

Let’s start by correcting this question of yours…

Can anyone explain please what the sentence means, specially the bold part.

The sentence means that on the one hand the spa users had to travel a long way because the spa is located far away and on the other hand the spa users were compensated for the long trip.

They actually were more than compensated because the spa facilities allowed them to relax.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

3 Likes

Thanks Torsten. Yes, it made sense. But, shouldn’t there have been a verb in the bold part? For example, while travelling to the spa’s remote location could be hectic, visitors to the spa were more than made up for the stress by unwinding in a supremely placid environment

4 Likes

The verb ‘made up’ (simple past, active voice). I do admit that the sentence is poorly written and I don’t understand why you are still using that strange book.

4 Likes

The main problem is the use of the expression - ‘more than made up for‘. This should refer to travel (the long journey) to the spa and not the visitors. If you want to refer to the visitors, you would have to say something like - the visitors were more than compensated for the stress of the long journey.

5 Likes

That becomes very clear, Alan.
The sentence in question is long-winded!

3 Likes

we are talking about a Spa center but nothing is currently working in quarantine! Spa is a good way to relax and relax your head and body!

2 Likes