while I have you on the phone.

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #737 [color=blue]“Dialogue Practice: Hotels (5)”, question 1

Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I’ll do that right now while I you on the phone.

(a) am
(b) talk
(c) have
(d) run

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #737 [color=blue]“Dialogue Practice: Hotels (5)”, answer 1

Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I’ll do that right now while I have you on the phone.

Correct answer: (c) have

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
Mr. Smith: Oh, yes. I forgot about the firewalls. I’ll do that right now while I talk you on the phone.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hello,

What is the meaning of “have” in this Question 1, please? For example, there is a headword “have” with several meanings in the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD), but I don’t know which one. Could you please tell me the correct one?

Here is a link to visit the website OALD:
oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … onary/have

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Hi,

This suggests ‘While I have you available to talk to/have your attention/ on the phone’.

Alan

Hello Mr. Alan Townend,

Thank you for your interpretations of “while I have you on the phone”. However, I have a couple of problems. Does your explanation “have your attention” mean the same as “get someone’s attention” or “grab someone’s attention”?

Another problem is as far as I know neither of your interpretations can fit into one of the entries under the headword “have (verb) in the following dictionaries. Therefore, I need your help to show your interpretation of “have” in “have your attention” in one entry in any dictionaries:

1. oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … onary/have
  2. thefreedictionary.com/have
  3. dictionary.reference.com/browse/have+?o=100074

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991.

Hi Bhikku,

You are creating problems where there none. The phrase ‘while I have you on the phone’ is widely used by native speakers regardless of what your free online dictionaries say.

‘While I have you on the phone’ simply means ‘since/while we are speaking on the phone’.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Who’s going to assist me with this project?[YSaerTTEW443543]