Which one correct among them?

Hello,

The pupils were given an exercise dealing with the scrambled sentences so I would like to get your correction about just a sentence.

Proposal 1:
After eating some fruits they went to the hospital.

Proposal 2:
They went to hospital after eating some fruits.

Proposal 3:
They went after eating some fruits to the hospital.

3 Likes

In my opinion both number one and two are correct while number three does not work.

3 Likes

I would agree with @Torsten that the first two are acceptable. The third is not suitable.

3 Likes

As we have been taught, there is some difference between go to hospital and go to the hospital. The former implies that you fell ill after eating the fruits and consequently you had to go to hospital to consult a physician.

In any case, proposal 3 does not sound okay as opined by Torsten.

3 Likes

I think in American English the phrase ‘go to hospital’ does not exist. It’s possible that Brits and Aussies say ‘go to hospital’ which is simply a short version of the more popular phrase ‘go to the hospital’. I would be interested in hearing @Alan’s opinion on this.

3 Likes

I thank you Torsten for having been quick to reply my thread.

1 Like

I also agree with you Andrea.

2 Likes

I thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

I thank you all for your opinion and explanation.
Indeed, this was one of the six sentences the third form pupils have been given during the first term exam. It was in the section III about Guided writing.
In sentence 6 it was written like this:
they/ after eating/ to hospital/ some/ went/ fruits/
When correcting I wrote:
After eating some fruits they went to hospital.
They went to hospital after eating some fruits.

The problem is that I saw on my colleagues’ paper the third propoasl I mean the following one:
They went after eating some fruits to hospital.

Of course he also took one of the two first proposals or both. But I am afraid of what his pupils should take from him.

I thought the sentence could be right if he wrote They went, after eating some fruits, to hospital. But I am unsure.

I don’t feel well when correcting my colleague’s mistakes because they cannot accept the correction and the conflict can start.

2 Likes

It could be ‘They, after eating some fruits, went to hospital.

3 Likes

I thank you ever so much for the correction.

2 Likes

[It could be ‘ They, after eating some fruits, went to hospital. ’]

I personally don’t think this is a suitable sentence at all. As a native English speaker I wouldn’t say this to anyone.

2 Likes

Not quite, Andrea. It depends on various factors like context, mood, style etc.
I think ‘The speaker, after pausing for a moment, continued his speech more effectively.’ is more suitable than ‘The speaker continued his speech more effectively after pausing for a moment.’ in a dramatic narrative.

2 Likes

I still don’t agree on this one. I’ve never seen this kind of sentence anywhere before. The sentence doesn’t naturally make sense like this.

The only I time I’ve seen personal pronouns used and then a comma straight afterwards are in contracts or parental consent forms.

“We, the undersigned, hereby undertake to invest the proceeds from the prize money…”

“I,___________________ , being the (Parent/Legal Guardian), and, having shown valid I.D…”

3 Likes

Yes, that’s legalese. Your example confirms the fact that it is grammatical. And what is grammatical can be correct and suitable. There is no reason why one cannot adopt such sentences though they might sound pedantic and formal.

In TG grammar, Chomsky quotes sentences that are absolutely grammatical but they make no sense at all. What we are discussing here is a sentence which makes perfect sense though its syntax may be not so common as a native speaker might expect or use.

Language, after all, is for unambiguous communication. When we are able to convey our thoughts and ideas in a grammatically acceptable form without ambiguity, the purpose of the language we have used as the medium is served!

2 Likes

So, what you’re saying is that it’s ok to write this in an essay which makes no sense at all? :thinking:

This sentence needs to make sense in writing and speaking.

3 Likes

I agree with you, Andrea. Born4Jesus asked us which sentences we think would be acceptable solutions for the scrambled sentence exercise. In this context I don’t think They, after eating some fruits, went to hospital can be deemed correct.

3 Likes

I’d answer your question with a big NO. I was only referring to the syntax.

1 Like

Torsten, we are unanimous on the correctness and acceptability of the first two choices of the poster. The alternate sentence, after some modification, was suggested by me. And it has led to this discussion. Good; thanks.
Now, we seem to have noted the structure acceptable to native speakers and the structure used by non-native speakers. Be that as it may. Thanks to Andrea as well.

3 Likes

Hello Torsten, Andrea and Anglophile,

I thank you all for the debate and sharing. Finally I think Andrea is right. And after think a bit more I disagreed with Anglophile. Now I understand you all better after reading all your debate.

Once more I THANK YOU. Then I can easily comfort my viewpoint.

3 Likes