When you receive a phone call

Hi

Which of the following is more common as the first thing you say when you pick up a call (when your surname is Johnson) ?

1. Hello, This is the Johnson residence.
  2. Hello, This is Johnson’s residence.

Thanks in advance
Kumiko

I would not identify myself until I knew what the speaker wanted, however, if someone were to do as you suggest then ‘the XXX residence’ sounds quite pompous.

What would be natural, would be something like:
Hello, this is Tom (Johnson).
Hello, Tom (Johnson) speaking.

Hi Beeesneees

Thank you very much for always replying my questions. In my country, we always identify ourselves first when we pick up a call. It is our custom. If we don’t do that, people think we are rude. I can see that there’s a cultural difference. I’ve seen an actor in a drama said something like “xxx’s residence” when he picked up a phone and wanted to know it is customary to say this. I suppose from your reply it is too formal.

Hi Beeesneees

Thank you very much for always replying my questions. In my country, we always identify ourselves first when we pick up a call. It is our custom. If we don’t do that, people think we are rude. I can see that there’s a cultural difference. I’ve seen an actor in a drama said something like “xxx’s residence” when he picked up a phone and wanted to know it is customary to say this. I suppose from your reply it is too formal.