What's it all about? (Do you like like?)

Hi,

There were these two guys sitting on a bench on a farm dressed as farm labourers although underneath their ragged clothes could well have been some kind of academic garb and this is how their conversation went:

A: Do you like like, or don’t you?

B: Do I like like, you ask? I like that.

A: When you say I like that to my question about whether you like like or not, I’m not sure that’s to my liking.

A: You mean, when I say I like that, you don’t like it because you thought in answer to your question about my liking like or not, that I had a liking for sarcasm but I don’t make remarks like that when I say I like that.

B: You mean when you say I like that, you mean that you like the like question.

A: That’s like it. So what do you think about my like question.

B: I don’t know cos I’m just a peasant. Like a beer?

A: Now that I like.

If you understand all that, send your comments on a postcard to Alan, UK.

Have a nice day!

Hi Alan

Like, it’s unlikely that even two like-minded people could agree on whether they both like like, like you said.

(At least that’s what I think you might have said. :lol: )

Amy

Like Amy said, the likelihood that many readers will like this conversation is rather high. It looks like you are capable of creating pieces like this in no time. It’s a bit like in a good cabaret.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Airport employee is announcing flight delays through loudspeaker system[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi!

Like is a nice word I think. So I like like like I like likeliness and you like like likelihood! :shock: :? Likely like others like to get??? :smiley: :?

Michael

I like your style, Michael. It’s very like-like. (Or should I say “Mike-like”?) :smiley:

Amy

Hi Amy!

I like that you like “Mike-like”! 8) Likely my sentence isn?t grammatically correct. So I?d like to correct it:

I like like like I likely like likeliness and you likely like likelihood!

Of course I liked to change “and” into “like” but likely not so dedicated like-users could get confused :? :lol:

I like like

Mike

Hi Mike

That’s quite impressive! My congratulations! It’s not easy to play with a foreign language so successfully. But you’ve done it extraordinarily well. Bravo! (You could liken it to a sentence from a native speaker. :D)

Amy

PS
Something tells me that you’re one of those people who has no trouble at all with sentences involving the Fischers and Fritz fishing for fresh fish… :wink:

Hi Amy!

I feel pretty honoured! And i think you are somebody who likes good bads. :wink:
Speaking the sentences with the fishers I have my problems. But do you know this?

When flies fly fly flies flies behind! :slight_smile:

It is a hilarious talk with you!

Michael

Hi Michael

I don’t think I’d heard the one about flying flies. :shock: Is your English sentence a direct translation from German?

I’ve heard another interesting sentence in English and now I’m wondering if the sentence is about the same two guys in Alan’s story. :wink: It’s about two guys and a teacher and the word had. And the trick is to put in the missing punctuation so that the sentence can be understood.

John while James had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

:lol:
Amy

Hi Amy!

Yes, the sentence about the flying flies is directly translated from the German. :oops:

About your interesting English sentence: your advice to the missing punctation brought me up this solution:

John, while James had had had had , had had had. Had had had had a better effect on the teachers. 8) In any crazy way that makes sense I think. :? :lol:

But what I liked to ask you as you are a Buisiness English teacher. What is the difference between usually English and Buisiness English? Could you give me an idea?

Michael

Hi Michael

What is “Business English”? Well, in a nutshell, it’s English with a focus on business. A lot of the vocabulary that you learn and practice would be words that are used more often in business than outside of business. Some easy examples would be words such as “department”, “deadline”, “headquarters”, “pie chart”, etc . Vocabulary often includes “business jargon”. Also, different industries or even different departments within one company usually have their own “specialized” vocabulary. And that needs to be practiced in context.

There are also certain types of activities (“functions”) that are important in business. “Business English” courses can include work on telephoning, meetings, negotiations, presentations, interviewing, describing processes, describing facts and figures, dealing with complaints, E-mail, small talk, etc. Especially from a “functional” point of view, it’s often much better to learn and practice “standard” phrases and sentences rather than individual words.

Also, some types of grammar and/or verb tenses tend to be used more often and/or differently in “Business English” than in general English.

So, that’s a very quick answer to your question. I hope it helps.

Amy

Hi Amy!

Thanks for your explanation. Similar applies to Technical English, doesn?t it? I have had vague imaginations about the particularities of this special kinds only. I think it helps me! 8)

Michael

Hi, it just occurred to me that this sentence can have two different meanings:

I do like them.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Company executive is answering interview question about future goals[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten, you drive me a little bit confused. :? Here was been babbled a lot, so I don?t know which sentence you mean!

Michael

Hi Michael

I don’t think Torsten was quoting a sentence, I think he’s thought of a new and tricky like sentence.

Hi Torsten

You’re right! That could be understood two ways. Let’s see if Michael can rise to the challenge again and figure your puzzle out. :wink:

Amy

Hi Amy!

You are right if you mean it?s always better to think before speak. But do you want to annoy an old like proficient babble head? :? :lol:

Michael :lol: :lol: