What's honest?

Wikipedia has a very interesting entry concerning the concept of ‘honesty’. This is how it starts:

"Honesty is the human quality of communicating and acting truthfully related to truth as a value. This includes listening, and any action in the human repertoire — as well as speaking.

Superficially, honesty means simply stating facts and views as best one truly believes them to be. It includes both honesty to others, and to oneself (see: self-deception) and about one’s own motives and inner reality. Honesty, at times, has the ability to cause misfortune to the person who displays it. It’s not something you are born with. You have to work hard at it."

Do you agree with this definition? And how do you think this relates to your society/culture, people you are in touch with and yourself?

What’s your view on that definition, Ralf?

Hi Ralf and everyone who visits the site :slight_smile: To my point of view for some people honesty is something they were born with and some have to learn how to be honest. Honesty, in my understanding, is a character trait that allows one to express his/her opinion about something as it really is. i.e., if your wedding dress that you have already bought and are going to wear tomorrow doesn’t suits you at all, an honest person will tell you this without hesitation (even if such words can hurt you). Those who won’t say that are rather tactful than honest. Honest person’s words can hurt but they are true (of course if that person is someone whose opinion you are sharing with and if you are sure he doesn’t envy you). From early chilhood we are tought how to behave in one or another situation, what is worth talking and what is not - it’s called “etiquette”. And that “etiquette” doesn’t allow us to say everything we are thinking of. We have to ponder our words before saying something. Will anybody agree with me that the most honest creatures are kids? I think they are because in childhood they don’t grasp all aspects of “etiquette”.

P.S. Would be very interesing to read other forumers opinion at this subject and especially yours, Ralf :slight_smile:

Thanks

Maryann

Yes, I agree with you Maryann. Kids are the most honest ones, just like a blank clean sheet of paper… but which in the future if drained with ink will be defected… :slight_smile:

Honesty to me has a very large meaning… I mean, if I’m honest, I’ll say what the truth is. But you’re right, Maryann. Since we have been taught how to behave and keep our tongue, we cannot say all the things that we want to… but still I believe people who don’t say those which can hurt are still honest… because honesty plays with truth and words said out.

Honesty, at times, has the ability to cause misfortune to the person who displays it. It’s not something you are born with. You have to work hard at it."

This definition is interesting, but I think the opposite. We all are born honest but we were taught to display less honesty…

Being honest is admitting that it doesn’t always pay to be honest in the world today. :slight_smile: