What were his meticulous/exact/accurate/correct words?

Dear teachers,

In my class, my teacher wrote on the blackboard:

What were his…words?
a. meticulous
b. exact
c. accurate
d. correct

My teacher chose exact.

Coul you tell me why a,c,d aren’t not correct?

Best regards
Tung Quoc

Exact words is a highly-collocated set phrase. It probably appears as an example in many dictionary definitions of exact, as in the American Heritage Dictionary:

Strictly and completely in accord with fact; not deviating from truth or reality: an exact account; an exact replica; your exact words’.

Another way to examine such test items that could be considered ‘grammatically correct’ but are not normal usage is to compare the occurrences in Google searches of the collocations:

2,680,000 English pages for “exact words
222,000 English pages for “correct words
26,600 English pages for “accurate words
46 English pages for “meticulous words
As you can see, exact is over 1000% commoner than its nearest competitor.

Dear Sir,

1/
In:

an exact account (1); an exact replica (2); your exact words (3)

If I use correct, accurate,meticulous but not exact, the meaning in (1),(2),(3) is the same. Is it right?

2/ If I use either correct or accurate, the meaning is…
If I use either correct or accurate or meticulous, the meaning is… (*)

Can I use eitheror… in (*)? If not, how can I express my idea with more than 2 elements?

Thanks
Quoc

1-- No. The 4 words have different meanings.

2-- The traditional rule holds that either should be used only to refer to one of two items and that any is required when more than two items are involved: Any (not either) of the three opposition candidates still in the race would make a better president than the incumbent. But reputable writers have often violated this rule, and in any case it applies only to the use of either as a pronoun or an adjective. When either is used as a conjunction, no paraphrase with any is available, and so either is unexceptionable even when it applies to more than two clauses: Either the union will make a counteroffer or the original bid will be refused by the board or the deal will go ahead as scheduled. (from The American Heritage Dictionary).

Sorry sir,

Thanks for your response but I don’t understand.

a.Could explian me how to distinguish the meaning of these 4 adjectives? What is the difference in their meaning? Is there a case where they’re interchangeable?
Please give me examples.

b. Normally, we say: Either answer A or answer B is correct.
Similarly, when we can’t not use either…or… for more than 2 things, what words do I have to use in order to express: either answer A or answer B or answerC is…?

Thanks
Quoc

PS: You know, I posted this question in the forum in VN 6 months ago and most said me these for 4 adjectives are similar and interchangeable. It confused me.

You will drive both yourself and us crazy if you attempt to assign definitive, mutually exclusive differences in meanings to all of the multitude of groups of semi-synonymous words in English (or any language)-- the differences and similarities arising often apply only relative to collocation, register, field, region, and other factors and their interactions are fluid. I wouldn’t even try to think of a sentence in which four similar words are interchangeable.

Here is a short selected set of dictionary definitions suggesting some variations:

a. meticulous-- marked by extreme care in treatment of details
b. exact-- marked by strict and particular and complete accordance with fact
c. accurate-- conforming exactly or almost exactly to fact or to a standard
d. correct-- in accord with accepted standards of usage or procedure

The only way that you will acquire the ability to use the vocabulary is through familiarity with the dictionary and careful attention to usage in native utterance.

I have already answered your other question, I think:

When either is used as a conjunction, no paraphrase with any is available, and so either is unexceptionable even when it applies to more than two clauses: Either the union will make a counteroffer or the original bid will be refused by the board or the deal will go ahead as scheduled.’

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your response. Here is my last question.

Please read:

a. meticulous-- marked by extreme care in treatment of details
b. exact-- marked by strict and particular and complete accordance with fact
c. accurate-- conforming exactly or almost exactly to fact or to a standard
d. correct-- in accord with accepted standards of usage or procedure

Do you think conforming to, in accordance with, in accord with have the same meaning? (in this case)

Best reagrds
Quoc