what to do

a. I know what to do.

Does this sentence only mean:
a. I know what I should do.

or could it also -in the right context- mean
I know what you should do.
I know what he should do.

etc.

b. I know what to do in these situations.
can’t this sentence have the same meaning as:
I know what one should do in these situations. (not merely what ‘I would do in these situations’)

Hi,

‘I know what to do’ must first indicate what I should/must do. The use of ‘one’ makes this impersonal and in the end means the same.

Alan

Thanks Alan.
So if someone says:
-I have a problem with my computer.
I cannot say: “I don’t know what to do.” instead of "I don’t know what you should do."

Hi,

‘I have a problem with my computer’ means exactly what it says. I really don’t understand why you think that this has any connection with ‘what you should do’. I think you are creating problems where none exists.

Alan

Sorry Alan.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

That was just an imaginary dialogue. I wanted to provide some context! I messed up i guess.

Somebody says they have a problem and I say: I don’t know what you should do.

Now, the question is whether one could say in that context, ‘I don’t know what to do.’ (just like one could say ‘I don’t know what is to be done.’)

Hi,

It depends, as always. on context. In other words: Are you talking about your problem or another person’s problem?

Alan

Thanks Alan.
Once again, sorry for the confusion.

I am talking about another person’s problem and I am saying that I do not know what he should do. Can I say: “I do not know what to do.” meaning I do not know what that person should do (what should be done, in other words).

Hi,

This will be my final comment on this!

means you do not know what further action is necessary for a first/second of third person.

Alan

Thank you very much for your patience and my apologies again.