What is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #296 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (18)”, question 6

“What’s the matter, Fred? Do you have a in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick,” Gill asked his friend.

(a) wrench
(b) hitch
(c) cinch
(d) thorn

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #296 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (18)”, answer 6

“What’s the matter, Fred? Do you have a hitch in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick,” Gill asked his friend.

Correct answer: (b) hitch

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
“What’s the matter, Fred? Do you have a thorn in your giddyup? You look tired and a little sick,” Gill asked his friend.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

What is the meaning of expression “hitch in your giddyup”?

People use this when they aren’t feeling well or when they’re cranky (in a bad mood).

I checked giddy-up meaning in dictionary. It is as follows:
used as a command to a horse to make it go faster
I can not make out any sense of this meaning in the phrase hitch your giddy-up.

It’s not a common saying internationally. I don’t think it would be readily understood in the UK and I’m not even sure whether it would be readily understood in the US.

I agree that it’s not a common expression but it is used sometimes and it’s used in a humorous way.

To Ajay,

Most people in the US would be able to guess the meaning of this expression because they are familiar with the meanings of ‘giddy up’ and ‘hitch.’ It would probably be used in a funny/humorous way and likely comes from the cowboy/Old West era.

Giddy-up means to get going/move at a faster pace and hitch means to get caught up or hooked on something.

If your giddy-up (ability to move/go faster) gets hooked or caught up on something, you can’t move/go faster as easily.

This translates into not feeling as well as you normally do etc.

Thanks Linda
I couldn’t expect a more beautiful and lucid explanation then this. I’ll remember this phrase forever.

I really wouldn’t use it outside a specific geographical area, Ajay. It would not be readily understood.

In the UK people are familiar with the terms ‘giddy-up’ and ‘hitch’ too, but the meaning would have to be guessed at from the context as the phrase itself seems quite odd.

Hi Ajay,

I’m so glad you found the explanation helpful. :slight_smile:

Beesnees,

I won’t use this expression in the UK. :wink:

Hello,

I’m from the U.S. and I’d like to agree with the other comments here. The expression is not common, but I would be able to guess the meaning. My main understanding of this expression is that you are not feeling/acting like your normal self. Something is preventing you from acting like your normal self.

I would not be able to guess the meaning of this expression without context. If someone had asked me “What does ‘hitch in your giddyup’ mean”, I would have had no idea – or would probably have guessed wrong.

[color=darkblue]______________________________________________________
[size=75]“I can make a General in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace.” ~ Abraham Lincoln[/size]