What is a brace for prop?

The two-time defending champions scored four tries to two, including a brace for prop Ben Tameifuna, as they endured a tight first half to assert control over their New Zealand rivals in the second.

What is a brace for prop?

2 Likes

In rugby a “prop” is one of the positions. A brace is two goals. So the person playing the prop position scored two goals.

2 Likes

What does the quoted phrase mean?

2 Likes

A “try” is a way to score in rugby, by advancing the ball to one end of the field and touching it to the ground. So one team scored two tries and the other scored four. Sorry, I am not really that familiar with rugby. If you ask me about “touchdowns”, which is the equivalent in American football, I can be much more informative!

3 Likes

What does the phrase “two-time defending” mean?

1 Like

We use the word “defending” if you were the champion, that is you won first place, the previous year. Now you are “defending” your title of champion. So here, the team won first place in the previous two years and are now “defending” their championship by trying to win again for a third time. If they do win, this would be called a “three-peat” - winning three championships in a row.

3 Likes