'What expensive taste do you have!' :)

Hi

HSJ 1341 Expensive taste and some ambition in life are the only requirements.
(BNC)

Sometimes I meet expensive taste - used as a fixed phrase - but, to be honest, never saw more or less exact defintion for it. Take it just intuitively :slight_smile:

Could you define/explain its meaning (or give equivalents, either ironic or “serious”)?

Hi,

The sentence:

The meaning would suggest that someone has a fondness for things that cost a lot of money. If you want to buy someone a present and say it is going to be a watch and they choose one that is top of the range, they have an expensive taste in watches.

A

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your quick and clear response!

In?..

(Yes… now I’ve made a quick search and seen all that ‘taste in cars’, ‘taste in food’, etc
Thanks for that, especially. Prepositions are my sore point.
Defintitely, in the context of phrases like the above, I couldn’t distinguish clearly have taste in from have taste for (…expensive electronic devices, for example).

Tamara Hi

Expensive taste and some ambition in life are the only requirements.

Sometimes I meet expensive taste - used as a fixed phrase - but, to be honest, never saw more or less exact defintion for it. Take it just intuitively :slight_smile:

Could you define/explain its meaning (or give equivalents, either ironic or “serious”)?

hi evrey one in web