What does "Instagram" mean?

Hello everyone!
I have joined this forum for long time but this is first time post a new topic in order that you can help me boosting your learning English process.
I want to say “hello” to everyone in this forum and I am delighted to get familiar with you, be a friend with you…

This time I want to ask you that what “Instagram” mean?

So I very apprecitate for your help, thanks in advance!

1 Like

There is no standard word ‘Instagram’ in English.

1 Like

I assume you know that Instagram is a photo-sharing program, but want to know where the name comes from. Although it is a made-up name, and not a real word in English, it suggests “insta-” from “instant” and “-gram” as in “telegram”, which, according to the founders at instagram.com/about/faq/ , is exactly how the name was coined.

“When we were kids we loved playing around with cameras. We loved how different types of old cameras marketed themselves as ‘instant’ - something we take for granted today. We also felt that the snapshots people were taking were kind of like telegrams in that they got sent over the wire to others - so we figured why not combine the two?”

2 Likes

It sounds like you are already advertising one! Apparently it costs $0.00 !

2 Likes

Exactly. The word Instagram is a portmanteau of “instant camera” and “telegram.” Other examples of portmanteaus are ‘cineplex’ for ‘cinema’ plus ‘complex’ and ‘edutainment’ for ‘education’ and ‘entertainment’. There are lots of portmanteaus in English.

2 Likes

hello my greetings! Nice to meet you.

1 Like

Hello Anatatoliy, welcome to our forum, pleased to meet you too.

1 Like
I have never been against Instagram. Especially, against bloggers or simple members who try to inspire others to lead an active life. Even if they imply a lot of advertisements in their content. Profiles with winter sports content are very inspirational and motivational. Skiing Instagram accounts, which I follow with admiration, are @legoskierbro, @oldschoolers, @jerryoftheday, @gimbalgod, and @skichef. All these accounts mentioned have a lot of followers and are quite promoted from all perspectives. Probably, they searched for how to buy real Instagram likes from https://famoid.com/buy-instagram-likes/ video views and followers regularly to keep the high ranks. All in all, skiing is going the right direction on Instagram.
2 Likes

Well, here’s a reply to this question about 8 years later. These days, we find this word i.e. Instagram, in general English dictionaries.
Instagram (noun) is an online photo-sharing application and social network platform that was acquired by Facebook in 2012. Instagram allows users to edit and upload photos and short videos through a mobile app.
Instagram is also a verb: “to take and share an image of something using Instagram”

Thanks
Noren

2 Likes