What does "Englisch fießend in Wort und Schrift" mean?

Many job ads in Germany include the phrase “Englisch fießend in Wort und Schrift” as one of the job requirements. Now, I wonder what exactly this means? I have the impression that the person who uses this typical German expression simply doesn’t know how to evaluate a job candidate’s level of English so it serves as some kind of filter. Most job candidates will be scared off by this job requirement and only a few will actually apply for the job because they know full well that the phase is very vague and nobody can actually quantify it.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A couple cooking[YSaerTTEW443543]

I think that the employers really want someone who can speak and write good English by whatever their own estimation is, but they don’t know themselves what their estimation is.

Now that the EU has standardized the language proficiency levels, however, an employer who’s clear and serious about the level of English he wants should probably ask for someone who has English skills at level B2, C1 or whatever suffices.

Hi Jamie,

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use the TOEIC as a measurement for a job candidate’s level of English rather than applying a European standard?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Could I see your driver’s license?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Or they can just demand some documentary proof of English proficiency, whichever test is used.