what does "cut" mean here?

Society tends to think of high school dropouts as kids who just can’t [color=red]cut it.

what does " cut " mean here? thanks.

Hi vaok

‘Cut it’ is an idiom that basically means ‘perform up to expectations’.

Look at definition 86 here.

thank you very much indeed! you help a lot.

it simply means succeed, do well, etc ^^

To not be able to deal with problems or difficulties satisfactorily.

That is the meaning of “can’t cut it”. Meaning of cut it, however, doesn’t include the part “to not be able to”.

Yes, you’re right.

can cut it = To be able to deal with problems or difficulties satisfactorily
can’t cut it = To not be able to deal with problems or difficulties satisfactorily

Have you ever seen it without the modal auxiliary?

Here’s the “full” form:

to cut the mustard

Not really. But according to the times.com, this also can be
cf.: time.com/time/magazine/artic … hix-sphere
as a nonnative of English, I am not fond of the informal language (that is, cut it is informal language! – according to this: thefreedictionary.com/cut ). If you see my posts, I am learning English and not afraid to be mistaken.

Regards

I don’t see how you can live without it? Do you use only formal forms/register in your own language?

Don’t be serious! To tell the truth, I use Korean language for daily life and standard English for scientific writings (that is, I am working as a researcher). Well, my first language is Arabic, second is Korean, third is Hebrew and English comes along. I don’t feel that I am accustomed with informal language that is why I am saying that.
Btw, what is wrong with “the”?

Best regards

Hi, Amy

I’m wondering if this expression is common in your neck of the woods: To cut it fine, for example as in: She cut it fine, because the train was already departing from Platform A.
I’m asking because I read about this expressin in a textbook written by British.

Thanks!

accustomed to

thank you for the correction. Alex: cut it fine means allowing enough time for doing something.

Not really:

cut it/things fine

to allow very little time for something:

idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cut+it+fine

To allow just enough time to do something

Many thanks for your reply, but I know what it means.
I was asking Amy a completely different thing.

I hope she will answer my question :slight_smile:

Hi Alex
I’m not familiar with ‘cut it fine’, so that may be primarily BE.
I would say ‘cut it close’ instead.