What do you think of this audio recording (1 present simple)?

Hi dear Mr. Torsten,
I listen to it. It was very interesting for me but I have a problem. Because I am not a native speaker, it is very fast for me, whenever I try to improve my listening without seeing the text, I can’t follow the text and get confused. I need to listen to some part of it until I can get the correct pronunciation and accent. So I need to listen with my MP3 but it isn’t possible to save it, is there any way that I can do it and listen to it for several times, even when I am doing my job!? If is it possible please tell me how?
Thanks in advance.
fatemeh

Hi Torsten,I have just listened to the lesson and the story as well.They were quite understandable and clear;although,I have some difficulty figuring out the meaning of some words while reciting.Anyway,thanks for this lesson.

Hello Alan,

The letter what I wanted to write you yesterday I couldn’t because we had to go from home. I wanted to write you that " It never gets you anywhere " came to me in the best time.
Of course your helping letter also, to solve my problems with the iPad.

I asked several technicians and their answer was: I wouldn’t have bought this.

I spoke to you one of my grandchildren who is a "jack-of-all-trades " I mentioned him to you when you bought a table of which the assembling cause you lot of difficulty. Now I said to you what a pity that my grandchild couldn’t help you. And I told you he is a very helpful child and his teaches adores him because something fails they call Tomi and he can repair always everything .His tools are always with you.

He told me that he has the same iPad and he could solve this problem and he would solve to me also.My technician doubted and he told me to see my grandchild’s iPad

Hello Alan,

The letter what I wanted to write you yesterday I couldn’t because we had to go from home. I wanted to write you that " It never gets you anywhere " came to me in the best time.
Of course your helping letter also, to solve my problems with the iPad.

I asked several technicians and their answer was: I wouldn’t have bought this.

I spoke to you one of my grandchildren who is a "jack-of-all-trades " I mentioned him to you when you bought a table of which the assembling cause you lot of difficulty. Then I said to you what a pity that my grandchild couldn’t help you. And I told you he is a very helpful child and his teachers adores him because something fails they call Tomi and he can repair always everything .His tools are always with him.

I continue later because my battery is very low.
Regards:
Kati Svaby

He told me that he has the same iPad and he could solve this problem and he would solve to me also.My technician doubted and he told me to see my grandchild’s iPad

Hello Alan,

I would like to finish my letter.
Now that I’ve read it again I see that I couldn’t express myself. Besides there are mistakes in it. I am sorry.
For exp:The technician told me: You shouldn’t have bought it.

So my grandchild who loves me very much and of course I love him very much he is looking forward to solving my problem.
( The technician told me that I should see how his iPad works and I have to control whether english-test.net comes in or not.) And I saw, and I stood gaping because with his iPad I can listen tests and I can use JAVA on english-test.net. Of course he never uses these pages. Its a legal thing he had to pay 2$ for it. Incredible and ridiculous amount of money. Tomorrow he comes at our home and he is downloading this program.

xxxxxxxx

Even one thing: I received a letter from Joel Milne and he wrote this:

Hello Kati, you are correct the iPad is an Apple product, and Apple products do not offer support for Java or Flash. This is because Java and Flash can both be used to make web applications, and Apple does not want to lose the revenue it makes selling its own web apps.

There are many other tablet products out there and most or all of them support Java and Flash which are important and commonly used technologies. For example the Blackberry Playbook, Microsoft Xoom, or Samsung Galaxy.

As we rebuild English-Test.net we might try to reduce use of Java/Flash because of Apple’s lack of support. However, that will take months and years, it not something we can change quickly. Those are powerful and useful technologies and they are in use on millions of websites. They perform important functions on our website.

You might also complain to iPad that their product does not support major parts of the Internet. However, their stock price just reached a new record high yesterday, so I doubt they will change their system anytime soon.

Regards,

I am very proud of my grandchild who is a very modest ,warm-hearted child.
I hope you don’t take an offence if I send you a picture of him.

Best regards:
Kati Svaby

1 Like

Hello Torsten,

I clicked the same link yesterday and I got English prepositions, this morning I clicked it and I got :Listen to this lesson (English audio, MP3)
What do you think of this audio recording?

I remember this newsletter, I was familiar with it. But I didn’t hear any background noise.

Of course this day I am going to repeat it, because I forgot some expressions. I am sorry that I can do it just now only later.

The woman’s pronunciation who read out this lesson is easily understandable.

Many thanks:
Kati Svaby

s

Hello,

I know very well this newsletter. I dealt with it about a year ago.

Now:Why did Torsten wrote in his permalink (1 present simple?) Is it possible that there is in this text only one real simple present? Which can be?

Alan says about his newsletter:“It never gets you anywhere” -
“I used the Present Simple in in this narrative was that I wanted to make the action seem more direct. This is a device known as the ‘historic present’ and is also used in speech when you are describing something and you want to make your story more dramatic as in: when instead of past tenses you use simple present to make the narration more vivid.” So he used simple present inside of past tenses.

Which can be odd one out?

My tip:: ANDREW SMODLEY HANDS THE RING TO SALLY FAIRWEATHER’S FUTURE HUSBAND."
’ hands '- it is a fact in this story , what was published in the newspaper, this is another kind of simple present that doesn’t make the story more dramatic.

My question would be: did you think of this simple present or another one?

Regards:
Kati svaby

Dear Alan,
By the text “It never gets you anywhere” from Present Simple Tense Lesson, what does “kettle of fish” means?
Thanks,
Claudio

Hi Claudio,

I am looking forward to Alan’s explanation. Till it arrives I send you what I’ve found about its meaning.

Kettle of fish
“This term is usually part of ‘a fine kettle of fish’, ‘a pretty kettle of fish’ etc, which mean ‘a muddle or awkward state of affairs’. The expression ‘a different kettle of fish’ has, as seems fitting, a different meaning, which is ‘an alternative; a different thing altogether’.”

I knew till now this meaning: ’ a different kettle a fish’

If you want to read about it in detail you find in The Phrase finder. I try to send its link but if it doesn’t go through write in the Google ‘The Phrase finder’

Bye:
Kati Svaby

P.S: I had to delete the link because it didn’t go through with link.

Hello Mr.Torsten,

You wrote in this lesson the following sentence “When we want to make a question we also use do after I/you/we/they and does after he/she/it:”

Maybe the exact word is before instead of after. I’m not sure but I really thing I’m right.

Can you check this ?

Thanks in advance.

If I’m wrong don’t hesitate to correct me.

Hello Mr.Torsten,

You wrote in this lesson the following sentence “When we want to make a question we also use do after I/you/we/they and does after he/she/it:”

Maybe the exact word is before instead of after. I’m not sure but I really thing I’m right.

Can you check this ?

Thanks in advance.

If I’m wrong don’t hesitate to correct me.

You are correct.

Thank for your reply.

Now I’m sure about it. Have a nice day.

Hello Torsten,

Many thanks for the post. the question was: “What do you think of this audio recording (1 present simple)? (#562934)” at www.english-test.net. This topic has received a reply since your last visit.

I liked very much this essay. I got used to her pronunciation as I always listened to it when there was a record. I didn’t hear any disturbing or background noise. I could understand the record if I watch the text if I loose it for a moment I don’t understand. This is not the mistake of the woman who reads out the text, but my gap to understand the very quick speech.

Regards:
Kati Svaby