What do you think are the most difficult aspects of learning a new language?

It can be quite difficult to learn a new language. What do you think are the most difficult aspects of learning a new language? Give reasons and examples to support your response.

There are thousands of languages in the world, it is a specifically human capacity for acquiring and using to communicate with each other. Language as a communication system is thought to be fundamentally different from country to country. It may be quite difficult for one to learn a new language which greatly differs from his first language. In my opinion, the most difficult aspects of learning a new language are pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary.

Firstly, when a person contacts with a new language, he might touch a new system of phonetics. For instance, when an occidental people arrives in China, he could not distinguish any voice; for the reason is that Chinese is quite different from English or other Latin family of languages, and they have different manners of pronouncing words. It might be one of the most difficult things for a foreigner to study the tone of Chinese. Whoever wants to speak fluent and exact Chinese needs to spend a long period of time in correcting his pronunciation.

Secondly, compared with the studying of pronunciation, learning the grammar of a new language is also a tough thing. Since different language has its own culture as well as different ways of thinking. For example, the usage of Chinese words may trouble a lot of foreigners because one word can be used in various places according to different situations. Only when we learn and understand the language and its related culture and background can we remove the language barriers. On the other hand, every one needs to learn the rule so as to speak or write English in an accurate way for it has strict and complicated grammar too. It is not surprising that someone may find a great lot of mistakes of grammar in the composition of a Chinese student. The differences between thinking manners and linguistic habits always bring some errors. Any way, it is one of the significant things to study the grammar of a new language so as to acquire a mastery of the rules of sentence making.

Finally, some people may find that the accumulation of vocabulary of a new language is also difficult because he need to spend long time in accumulating. Just imaging when you arrive in a foreign country such as Japan or Korea, you want to live in the new place while all the newspaper, magazines and TV program are in Japanese or Korean. Even you have learn this new language in your nation for a while, you still need to adapt yourself to the new environment. Only after your vocabulary together with the usage of the words rising to a certain degree will you feel at home in the new language.

All in all, to learn a new language, one should get himself psyched up for it. It might cost him a long time and much efforts in command of its pronunciation, having a good understanding of the characteristics of grammar as well as new characters and vocabulary before he can master a new language. As an old saying goes that practise makes perfect. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

This article is not good, I just write as what I think about. I want to know whether it has big errors…

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university service representative

Hi, I think this essay was very good. Your introduction did not flow smoothly enough, but the rest of your essay seemed pretty natural for the most part. You have some good details and examples which strengthen your thesis. You do have some grammar and word usage errors here and there, but overall, it was not too bad. I would rate this a 4 out of 5.

Thanks very much for your help!