What do you make of "plain speaking"?

Hi,

How would you describe your talking style? I mean, are you a person who likes to beat about the bush or you would consider yourself a “Jack Blunt”? Alan’s latest newsletter is called Figuratively Speaking and I’d really like know if you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Let’s hear your opinions.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A moving truck[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear IA,

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding Alan’s essay. Yes, of course you can read even more articles and essays about the English language.

If you like, you can also tell us more about your work as an English teacher. How many students are there in your classes and kind of materials do you use?

Talk to you soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A mechanic[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Anna,

Many thanks for your question. Yes, you can buy our materials from almost any country in the world.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A loading dock[YSaerTTEW443543]

I consider your newsletters very interesting and useful. This is the way I like to communicate and learn English, with the addition of audio, which is included in your lessons. For me this is the best, on account of my little time to study… I am living now in Spain, I am 67, English teacher in theory, but in fact learner of English, as in my early days the method of teaching English and languages in general was very bad, at least in my own experience: just grammar teaching and never talking in English and when talking in English “thinking” in Spanish… I´ve never seen something so catastrophic like that!

So I enjoy very much your modern method of teaching English. See you soon,

Carlos
carolus@arnet.com.ar Toledo, Spain
but my country is Argentina.

yes, but take your time…

yes, but take your time…

Dear Alan,
thank you so much for the lecture.
I am a teacher at the university, Almaty, Kazakhstan.
I teach Practical English as well as English Lexicology. You see, your Figuratively Speaking was what I needed. Lexicology is the term used mainly by Soviet scientists, it is the study of vocabulary.
Also, I am planning to conduct classes on “Public speaking” (we have our small Toastmaster club!) in September, so I repeat i APPRECIATE the lecture.
Zhannat

Thanks for articles, I`m interested for this. I buy 6 months ago some lessons and tests, and are great,thanks,

Hi, I’m Anna and I am a learner of english. I’ve just found my way to this site and think it’s great. Since I translate from english to swedish in my sparetime, I will hava a lot of help from your teachings.

:roll: I think that in my language I use figuratively speaking a lot. But in English, I´m a kind of plain, a “Jane Blunt”. The main reason is very simple: it is a difficult aspect to cover when a foreign language is used. But I´m as daft as a brush to learn it and use it! :lol:

Dear Alan,
Thank you very much for the interesting articles. I’m a house wife who loves learning English. I teach the pre-school children to year 3 from home(home tuition). Your articles helps me to teach good English. Referring to my prefered communication,I sometimes prefer plain speaking and also metaphorical. It’s more fun and interesting learning English when you mix the both. I’m no Jack Blunt either. Once again than you for your good deeds.

Dear Alan Townend,
I’m rather a fan of English, than a teacher, though I’m one). I like reading your emails very much they are very instructive and informative. I prefer to explain myself in rather plain words to make it possible to be understood by my students. Here in Russia calling a spade a spade is the same as to call things by their names. Tnank you for emails one more time. Best wishes, Bonkir.

Dear Alan Townend,

I am a learner but I wish to be an English teacher. I know it is too difficult for me but I try in my best.
I like to learn English so much. I’m not self-confident when I speak English and in my grammar I make many mitakens.
Can you tell me how I learn English so that I get my goal?
Hope my English is improved with your help.

Thanks .

HuynhChinh.

Dear Alan,

I,m not a english teacher, I,m professional musicion,and I really wonder to speak inglish very well, because it helps me to involve in a different art projects. It,s very important for me to have a conversation, and don,t make mistakes.

thank you,
saniko

Alan,s last letter is a little bit difficult to understanding for me, because I,m in a low intermediate level, I think.
I.ll try again, later,

Regards
saniko.

Dear Torsten

Abt plain speaking

Well, ‘plain speaking’… It can work well and is easy to use when you deal with plain things. But… if you have to desribe something where there are no such simple things as spades? When it is a patent or a contract? Or a financial document? It is difficult to avoid ‘legalese’ there, although, I think, the language tends to become simplier now.
So, I think, plain speaking is often OK unless it is dull or primitive

nataliru

Hi!

I enjoyed very much this newsletter. I’m always interested in this sort of information because I tend to be a bit of a ¨Jack Blunt¨when it comes to the English language as I don’t know much figures of speech. Not having much opportunity to speak in English nor write it is what keeps me away from using them.

I definitely would like to learn more about this subject.

Thanks Alan :slight_smile:

Dear Alan ,
thank you very much for you sending newsletter …
i’m not teacher i’m learn English.
Best regards,
ammy

Dear Torsten:
I enjoyed reading your article on the figures of speech. I’m familiar with metaphors, similes, hyperboles… but litotes as another word for understatement, Zeugma and spoonersim are all new to me, and all the while I thought oxymoron is a person with very low IQ. There is a lot to learn and I’m glad I have this forum as a means to improve my English language skills. I do use some figures of speech every now and then, but business writing demands concise and straightforward communication.
I work in a manufacturing company as Human Resources Manager where communications needs to be precise and undserstandable . I would be very difficult to issue memoranda, letters and the like if the words used are not easily understood by the recepients.

Dear Townend,now I am an English teacher at a university in Ethiopia,and I will also be a student very soon to specialize in English Literature.I usually teach spoken and communicative English for student-teachers in the same university.Giving English tutorials in collaboration with the ELIC(English Language Improvement Center)to female first year students to make them competent in their academic performance is also part of my job.The articles you provide me with is very important.My most interest lies in getting materials for teaching spoken English for those candidates who are going to be an English teacher in our country’s high schools.

dear alan,
my name is gelle im not ateacher but a english biggerner student who wants to improve his english trough speaking and writing. im from somalia but ilve in USA since september 2007.
i`m so much intreting to learn english and i hope you can helb me that. i look forward to hear you again.
please check what ihave written and correct my mistakes.
best regards