What do they mean?

1. If you do your work up front, things will most likely be easier down the road.
    (I don’t understand the meaning of it.)

2. If you’re like a lot of people, though, you may not start thinking about it until you run into problems.
    (Can I change the phrase ‘a lot of people’ to ‘others’? The word ‘though’ makes me confused. Is the sentece talking about I might not start thinking about it until I am in the situation even though I am just like others??? )

3. Use concrete, real-life examples
    (The meaning of the word ‘concrete’ here is ‘clear.’ right?)

4. Hands-on
    (Can you make sentences out of it, please? And what do you mean by them?)

5. Emotional regulation and impulse control are still developing.
    (What can you replace other words in ‘regulation’ and ‘impulse’ in this sentence?)

In #2
“like majority of people” would be right phrase for me.

Sentence 1 and 2 seem like metaphors to me. It’s better to make some preparations before doing something and A lot of people only think about it when they get into trouble.

1. Idiomatic: Do your preparation thoroughly and the rest of the work will be easier than it would have been without adequate preparation.

2. The word ‘though’ applies to the previous sentence: Although it would be best if you prepared, ‘a lot of people’ that is ‘many people’ don’t think about problems until they meet them. You could change ‘a lot of’ to ‘many other’ but not ‘others’ on its own.

3. ‘Concrete’ means real, solid, specific.

4. You’ll find the meaning and examples here:
    oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … y/hands+on
    If they aren’t enough then please ask again, but I think it will provide you with the information you need.

5. It’s not really possible to be sure as the sentence is taken out of context.

Sorry Bee. Did you mean ‘make some preparations’ is not correct?

No, BE. I didn’t intend to convey that your suggestion was incorrect at all, sorry.
I was just responding to the original question.

I didn’t mean my suggestions but just the expression ‘make some preparations’. Is it all right?

As long as its used in the correct context, it’s fine.

Understand Brain Development.

Understanding your child’s development is crucial for developing good skills. The effectiveness of your discipline will vary depending on the developmental age of the child: Emotional regulation and impulse control are still developing.
(What can you replace other words in ‘regulation’ and ‘impulse’ in this sentence?)

emotional regulation - the ability to control one’s own emotions.
impulse control - the ability to control your own natural reactions (to do whatever you want to do, whether or not it is socially acceptable or acceptable in that scenario).

Does ‘impulse control’ bear any relation with EQ?

And what did you mean by saying ‘the correct context’, Bee? So, what is the difference between the two expressions? By the way, could you explain something about the use of 2 expressions with ‘sighseeing?’

Impulse control and emotional intelligence - in as much as all the intelligences are linked, I suppose. I’m no expert in the behavioural intelligences.

‘do the preparation’ - make sure that everything which needs to be done in advance is complete.
‘make some preparations’ - get some things prepared.

In the correct context - where you mean ‘get some things prepared’!

‘sighseeing’ - Do you mean ‘sightseeing’? I don’t understand the question.

Thank you. Yes, it should’ve been sightseeing. I just want some explanations about its structures with ‘do’ and ‘go’. And if you will have a look over your post above, you will find some typos.

Don’t forget that you should start a new topic for a new subject.
You can ‘go sightseeing’ but not ‘go some sightseeing’.
You can ‘do sightseeing’ but not ‘do sightseeing’.
e.g. do some sightseeing, do a little sightseeing.

Other than that, the usage is the same.

You mention ‘some’ typos in my post. I only found one, which I have corrected. Thank you.

Thank you for the explanations and reminding me of the rules. I am always unable to control my feeling especially when doing English.
Anyway, I would rather use ‘…everything that…’ than use ‘…everything which…’ despite the repetition. And if you had used ‘some things’, don’t use ‘some thing’ then.

That particular rule is there so that questions don’t get missed. As the original had been answered (several times over) it could easily have happened.

That’s not a typo. It’s preference. It can stay as it is.

Yes. I missed that. Thank you. Of course, had I meant it to be singular I would have used ‘something’ not ‘some thing’.

Thank you. And yoy’re welcome.:smiley: