What accent is closer to mine?

One of the things that annoy me the most when it comes to thinking about my English is that I don’t speak a specific accent despite I have been learning English since quite a long time…

I know a lot of people who don’t speak my mother language so the only way we interact in is English and you know everyone speak their own English so eventually I find myself speaking English my own way too…

And well, I don’t like that because my English will always appear strange even if it is understandable…

so, I’m asking you native speakers here to which accent do you think my English is closer? so that I can focus more on?

Thanks

Hi Alshimaa Helmy,

If I were you and I spoke a foreign language as well as you speak English I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about my accent. It is perfectly understandable, clear and charming. Please stop worrying about it. It’s not necessary.

Best wishes,

Alan

Hi Alshimaa ,

Your English is good but it is quite obvious you are not a native speaker from the way you construct your sentences.

You have no problems communicating in English that is for sure! You can be easily understood. I would say your English is at the advanced level.

As for that accent, well, I would say it sounds Eastern European or Middle Eastern…can’t really place it anywhere…Just watch more English shows on YouTube or TV, if you can get them there, wherever there is.

Hello Alshimaa,

I found your post very interesting. Coming from someone who lives in the United States, I can tell you that you really don’t have anything to worry about regarding your accent.

Your accent is not something you should be concerned about at all. The main purpose of learning any foreign language is to communicate with other people - not trying to figure out where you may be from.

I can tell you, that if I was able to speak a foreign language as well as you can speak English, I would not be worried about my accent at all. I would just be so happy to be able to communicate with a different part of the world.

You’re doing a great job Alshimaa! Please do not worry about your accent!

Take care,

Tom