There is only so much food that an animal can find, catch and swallow it appropriately

I’m Phuong, Quang’s sister, would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: Why whales got so big?

Mammals tend to get when they invade the ocean. Seals, sea lions, and sharks tend to create scars and muscles. It can also be said for manatees and dugongs and the whale almost synonymous with bigness. Occasionally, mammal families were swimming and during evolution, they grew in size. Why?

Most of the explanations for this trend consider the ocean a kind of release. Water partially frees the mammals from the yoke, allowing them to develop heavy bodies that they can’t support on the ground. Water prevents them from binding their territory, giving them large areas to look for food. Water frees them from the small patches of the land diet and gives them a large number of plankton, crustaceans and fish to hit.

However, William Gearty of Stanford University has a very different explanation. To him, the ocean makes large mammals not because it reduces them to the limits, but because it imposes new animals. “When you step into the water, you start losing heat from your body that you do not lose on the ground or in the air,” he explained. In the face of constant heat loss, people use wet clothing, eyebrow whales, and thick feathered otter. "But the simplest way to counter it is to increase it” - Gearty said. As the balloon body grows faster than the surface area, so you will generate more heat in the body but less to less than the skin. But animals can’t become infinitely large because larger bodies also require more fuel. There is only so much food that an animal can find, catch and swallow it appropriately.

These trends do not match the idea of the ocean as a release. Instead, it shows water binding strict. To thrive in it, mammals must be of proper size - large, yes, but not too large and not too small. And Gearty can calculate the boundaries of the Golidlocks area with a set of equations connecting the size of a mammal to the heat it takes to water and the speed at which it can find food. These equations predict the average of 1,100 pounds that marine mammals have evolved and that range is narrow in size.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an employee in the student services center

1 Like

Hi Phuong, I guess this is a summary of an article? I am not sure.
I don’t have the original article, so I can’t really tell how accurate your summary is.
It is pretty evident though that you are missing some words or using incorrect ones, because you have several sentences that don’t really make sense.
Here are my specific suggestions:

1 Like

Yes, it is a summary of an article. Thank you for solving the essay for me.

Mammals tend to get larger when they venture into the ocean. Seals, sea lions, and dolphins tend to muscles. It can also be said for manatees and dugongs and the whale is almost synonymous with bigness. Occasionally, mammal families moved into aquatic environments and began swimming and as a result of evolution, they grew in size. Why?

Most of the explanations for this trend consider the ocean a kind of release. Water partially frees the mammals from the yoke of gravity, allowing them to develop heavy bodies that they would not be able to support on the ground. Water prevents them from being bound to a limited territory, giving them access to large areas to look for food. Water frees them from a diet dependent on small patches of land and gives them a large number of plankton, crustaceans and fish to eat.

However, William Gearty of Stanford University has a very different explanation. To him, the ocean leads to large mammals not because it reduces them to the limits, but because it imposes new animals. As a balloon’s volume the balloon body grows faster than the surface area as it inflates, so by increasing body mass, you will generate more heat in the body but lose less through the skin. But animals can’t become infinitely large because larger bodies also require more fuel. There is only so much food that an animal can find, catch and swallow.

These trends theories do not match the idea of the ocean as a means of release. Instead, it shows water setting strict limitations. To thrive in it, mammals must be of proper size - large, yes, but not too large and not too small. And Gearty can calculate the boundaries of the Golidlocks area with a set of equations connecting the size of a mammal to the speed at which it can find food.

1 Like

Mammals tend to grow larger when they venture into the sea. Seals, sea lions and dolphins tend to be muscular. So do manatees and dugongs, and the whale is almost synonymous with size. Occasionally, mammal families moved into aquatic environments and began swimming, and as a result of evolution, they grew in size. But why?

Most explanations for this evolution see the sea as a kind of liberation. The water partially frees mammals from the yoke of gravity, allowing them to develop heavy bodies that they could not support on the ground. Water frees them from being tied to a limited territory and allows them access to large areas to forage for food. The water frees them from a diet dependent on small areas of land and provides them with a large variety of plankton, crustaceans and fish to eat.

William Gearty of Stanford University, however, has a very different explanation. In his view, the ocean leads to large mammals not because it pushes them to their limits, but because it creates new animals. Because the volume of a balloon grows faster than the surface area when it is inflated, more heat is generated in the body as the body mass increases, but less is released through the skin. But animals cannot grow infinitely large because larger bodies also require more fuel. There is only so much food an animal can find, catch, and swallow.

These trending theories do not fit the idea that the ocean is a means of release. Instead, it shows that the water sets strict limits. To thrive in it, mammals must be the right size - big, yes, but not too big and not too small. And Gearty can calculate the limits of the golidlock’s territory with a series of equations that link a mammal’s size to the speed at which it can find food.