We wish he would change/changed his ways.

Nobody is pleased with the way the manager behaves. We wish he …… his ways.

a)can change
b)would change [color=green](Answer Key)
c)had changed
d)changed

Hello,
Would you please be kind enough to tell me why D (changed) can not work?

[color=blue]We wish he would change his ways.
We wish he changed his ways.
Don’t they have the same meaning? What’s the difference in their meaning?

Thank you.

To the best of my knowledge, the only ‘grammatical’ options would be either b) or c):

b) We wish he would change… – if desired action is in the future. [= we hope he changes…]
c) We wish he had changed… – “Use the past perfect after wish or wished to express a regret about something that was not true in the past.”
C) would be justified in say, “Our manager is finally getting the sack following our numerous reports on his rudeness. We wish he had changed his ways.”

To me, ‘b’ and ‘d’ are both possible, but not ‘c’, Eugene.

Backing up my position:

“When we want to talk about situations we are not happy about and where we want someone else to change them, we use to wish followed by would + infinitive.
 I wish he would stop smoking.
 I wish you would go away. “
edufind.com/english-grammar/unreal-past/

Wish + (that) + past simple:
We can use ‘wish’ to talk about something that we would like to be different in the present or the future. It’s used for things which are impossible or very unlikely.
• I wish that you lived close by (you don’t live close by).
• I wish that John wasn’t busy tomorrow* (he is busy, unfortunately).
Wish + (that) + would:
On the other hand, we use ‘would’ with ‘wish’ in a little bit of a special way. It’s generally used about other people who are doing (or not doing) something that we don’t like and we want that person to change.
• I wish that the neighbours would be quiet! (They are not quiet and I don’t like the noise.)
perfect-english-grammar.com/wish.html

Having read that, I believe “We wish he would change…” is by far more plausible than “We wish he changed…” (we do want the person to change and don’t consider it’s impossible\very unlikely).
Over to you.

Given such a detailed explanation, it seems, to me, to be acceptable. That would certainly put ‘b’ as the answer to be chosen in tune with the key suggested. Thanks, Eugene.