We noticed a sedan ... in front of the store.

We noticed a sedan _______ in front of the store.

(A)to stop
(B)has stopped
©stopped
(D)stopping

Which option is correct?

Which answer would you choose? We’ll be glad to help you after you try for yourself.

Option C.

Well, I would choose (D):

We noticed a sedan stopping in front of the store.

With option ©, we’d need the past perfect: ‘had stopped’.

Both C and D seem possible to me.

Option C might be used to mean We noticed a sedan (that was) stopped in front of the store. In other words, the word “stopped” might be used a bit like an adjective. Consider this sentence:

• You’d drive by and see them stopped at the side of the road looking at a snail or whatever.

Right, the adjectival phrase is possible too, of course. Only, it looks like a test on verb forms.

Ah, these test makers and their baits!

I’ve come to the conclusion that Sitifan likes to post just this sort of question. :wink:

I don’t like this sort of questions. I am a teacher of English in Taiwan. In Taiwan, many English test questions are poorly constructed. I need to ask native speakers to clarify my doubts. Is Conchita a native speaker of English?

Hi Sitifan

It’s really nice to know a little more about you! It’s also interesting to me to know the reason behind some of the questions you post. I’ve seen quite a few of your posts – both on this forum and on other forums.

Having written tests myself, I understand the difficulties involved in test-writing. A test question can end up poorly designed despite one’s best efforts to ensure that it’s good. That’s why thorough editing and/or peer review is important.

Ah, native: ambiguous term if there ever was one. According to its “broad” definition, which states you must have full mastery of the language, I don’t consider myself (nor do I aspire to become) a ‘native’ speaker of any language really. You could say I’m an international sort of person, I guess.

Hi Conchita,

Golly gosh now. Stop hiding your light under a bushel.

Alan

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I’m gonna let it shine.
I’m gonna let it shine.
I’m gonna let it shine.
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

This little light of mine,
I’m gonna let it shine