Verbs start and begin

Dear Torsten!
How are you?
Thank you very much for send me the lesson 5. I’m getting along with my English course!
I realized the difference between “its” and “it’s”.
I did a personal profile on the forum.
It was great to read the text about the verbs “to start” and “to begin”.
If you can help me, I have two questions:
1.When do I must add “ing” with the verbs that follow the verbs start and begin?
2.I could not find out the meaning of “bible back”.
Thank you very much!
Have a nice week
Sandra - Brasil

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your contribution!

To me those two verbs are pretty much interchangeable. It’s either ‘beginning to rain’ or ‘starting to rain’. Of course you could think of situations when one would sound slightly more suitable than the other, but – if you ask me – it’d be more important to concentrate on using the present continuous as opposed to the simple present in case “it’s starting to rain” :wink:

‘bible back’ - “Look at the bible back, it’s quite dirty!” (the back of the bible); “Give me my bible back!” (I gave you my bible but now it’s time to return it)

:slight_smile:

Ralf

Hi Sandra

You can say either “It started to rain” or “It started raining”, for example.
Using the -ing form (raining) after the verb ‘start’ basically adds a sense of duration to the verb ‘rain’. There isn’t really much difference between the two sentences otherwise.
[color=white].
Note: The word ‘Bible’ is generally capitalized if you are referring the the Holy Bible.

Dear Ralf and Amy!
Thank you very much for your explanations about the verbs “to start” and “to begin”.
I thought “Bible back” it was an expression".
My best regards
Sandra Brasil