Verbal phrases being changed.

I know basically that, a verb phrase comprises of the auxiliary verb and the main verb in a sentence, but I have now realized that, the predicate or the verb’s dependent are all considered a verb phrase now!.
I suspect, this changes are influenced by "linguistics’’.

So, now, do you[bev, Anglophile or Alan] still cling on to the normal verb phrase or the other[linquistic’s way of identifying verb phrase]?

Illustrative examples as follows:

• The boy has been killed in an accident

In the above, I know that the[has been killed] are verb phrase.

• The boy has been killed in an accident. - A website I visited claim that all the other words after the verb phrase are included as verb phrase. That is[has been killed in an accident].

How true is that?

Thanks!

I have made amendment and I think the above are intelligible now.

Thanks!

Could you link me to that website.

“Could you give me the link to that website?”

Hi Anglophile,

Google [verb phrase] and read what wikipidea says about this.

Besides, right under Wikipidea’s site, another website with the head name;
[verb phrase examples-Your dictionary] it also talks of it.

Hi Beev.
Are you implying it is syntactically wrong?

Thank you, Ebe, for linking me. You are right. I’m not inclined to support that view. But the point is debatable.

It is logically incorrect. Anglophile does not want to be joined to the website - it would be a physical impossibility anyway.

His response 'Thank you for linking me." is also incorrect.
It should be
“Thank you for giving me the link.”

If it’s not an error then it must be “Indian English”. It’s certainly not standard.

Bees Thank you for answering

Hi Anglo, a book written by a professor also states that- basically a phrase which begins with a verb is said to be a verb phrase. And gave these examples;

-It [has been raining since morning]
-John [came late yesterday]
-He [should haue done it]

He included non-verbs in the ver phrase, what do you say?

Maybe, the verb is predominant and whatever comes with it is taken as a phrase.

We often use figurative sentences. You have understood it and responded to it. When we say ‘to be in touch/contact with’ we are not at all connected, physically. And, when a foreign user says something reasonable or logical, it will not be acceptable. Then the English becomes Indian or what not. Pitiable! This can only be due to the fact that Indians were originally taught by ill educated native users of English. Now is the time of global English. What is not accepted in a country may be accepted in another. No one can impose it. Nor should any one disparage others.

Thank you for joining me (not physically) in this discussion.

Well, Ebe, I wish you and all other users of this Forum a happy Easter!