Using of "that guy Mary"

Is it inappropriate to use “guy” referencing to a female?
Or is it kind of ok to use.

For example:
Mary is a female (obviously).
Can I say “that guy Mary is lethargic, horrible person”

Thanks!

2 Likes

No, using ‘guy’ when talking about a singular female doesn’t work. If you have friends you might address them with ‘Hi guys’ when talking to a group of males and females or even females only.

3 Likes

Thanks Torsten, as like always, the sentences (in the answer) are refreshing and provide knowledge!
Seems your brain has such pattern to write this kind of sentences (if it is purely molecules based organ) which always ‘Feel Good’. If it is not pure molecules based organ, then Sole might do it.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Torsten, a logical question arises here: If you can address even a group of only females with ‘Hi guys’, why can’t a single lady be addressed so?

However, while referring to a female in a conversation, I think it is acceptable as in: Do you mean the guy with the blonde hair and glasses? as exemplified by Cambridge!

3 Likes

Hi Lawrence, using the word ‘guy’ when addressing just one female doesn’t work. Here are a few quotes from native speakers on this issue:

Can 'guys’ be used for girls and boys alike? Yes. It’s less common to use 'guys ’ to refer to females unless you are referring to a group of males and females together. In that case 'guys ’ is an informal substitute for ‘people’.

“You guys” is a familiar, all-inclusive way of addressing a group of men or women directly. That said, there are some important distinctions you must understand.

“You guys” is more likely to be said in women => women or men => men or women => men or mixed-group => mixed-group contexts. It is less likely to be used in men => women contexts, but is still heard and would probably not occasion any confusion or merriment.

The singular “guy” is another animal. It refers to males. It is also used to draw gender distinctions in a general way.

3 Likes

The last but one paragraph says it all. Thank you, Torsten.
So, the Cambridge example may be deemed to have been said by a woman pointing to a group of women or a mixed group!

3 Likes

Yes Anglophile, good question - Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

This sentence from Cambridge is indicating a male:
Do you mean the guy with the blonde hair and glasses?

3 Likes

Let me add a personal request.
Please do not replace “you guys” with “youse guys”, even if you are in New Jersey or Philadelphia.

2 Likes

Yes, JadeJoddle, you’re right. I revisited it and found the example sentence in question under ‘guynoun (MAN). I seem to have been a bit hasty. Sorry.

3 Likes